Looking for some advice to sell or not in SF

Again, you are talking as if my friend is at your age ! My friend is around 60s, kids completed colleges. He is a normal bay area IT employee, single earner, owned only Cupertino home and his entire savings are in 401k and in his home.He wanted mortgage free home, sold it, got a good size home with lot. Above all, he has got 500k tax free benefit and mortgage free rest of his life !

IMO, his move is perfect.

3 Likes

Not impressed… :frowning:

It takes time (Years…) to get impressed !

3 Likes

But, why going from selling a home to buy another one? Just the property taxes are enough, if he saved them, to live comfortably somewhere else.

No capital gains? What was the base price when he got it?

I can understand this. If one is close to or already retired, then why live in Cupertino? For the matter, why live anywhere on the Peninsula if one does not have to work at an employer’s office? (rhetorical question). Since you friend is in his 60s, I can surmise that he gives a rat’s @ss about maximizing his investment potential. At some point, most people (but not all) will say, “I have enough money. I will continue to make more but I don’t need to maximize it.” Happiness is being content and wanting what you have — happiness is not having what you want.

5 Likes

Alex is a good agent. Also - this house was nominated (but not selected) for the AIA tour. AIA tour houses are usually spectacular. The AIA tour houses usually all have an ethereal quality to them — all very Jony Ive-esque.

1 Like

Retiring and living in Cupertino is certainly a lot better than retiring and living in Pleasanton. @hanera can attest to that. @jil’s friend probably has never given a rat’s ass about maximizing his investment potential. That’s why he is where he is.

@hanera once said he plans to move to Austin. Certainly much worse than Pleasanton. I actually like Pleasanton.

1 Like

It’s all relative, right? If you are saying Austin is worse than Pleasanton, then by the same token Pleasanton is worse than Cupertino.

I’d trade a 1500 ft 60-year-old house in Cupertino for a brand new 3000ft with swimming pool in Pleasanton.

1 Like

Yes and you can trade that same house in Pleasanton for a brand new 10000ft with 3 swimming pools in Austin.

I agree on what @Jil’s friend did. He is still in commute distance to his social circle in the bayarea and his quality of life would be better with much newer house and neighborhood. I wouldn’t mind doing that when there is no more school!

2 Likes

I’m a 60s old Chinese man who love eating Chinese food :slight_smile: and live in Asian dominated neighborhood. YMMV :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did I? Your memory fail you!
I’m already retired!!! :crazy_face:
In any case, 此一时,彼一时

1 Like

Well, didn’t you say you want to move into one of your Austin houses? Or did you change your plan?

世事难料
此一时,彼一时

Primary home can’t be judged by its appreciation alone. You could buy a ranch in SJ 40 years ago instead of a Cupertino house. But living in the ranch for 40 years to maximize appreciation is not a good way to enjoy your life.

Money is to help people have a better life. You don’t want to live miserable to maximize your money

1 Like

I don’t get what’s the big draw on Cupertino besides the schools. San Mateo seems to be a better location to me.

3 Likes

IIRC, it was 1.2M base price,around 700k appreciation, but 500k tax free , rest taxed but very small. Anyway, I do not know what taxes he paid as it is beyond my limit!