Changes to the ordinances include:
• A size increase for an ADU from 800 square feet to 1,200 square feet.
• No minimum lot size for construction of an ADU (the lot previously had to be 15,000 square feet).
• No requirement that the owner reside on the property (the owner previously had to live on the site).
• A requirement of one parking space per ADU, unless there is public transit within half a mile, a car-share station on the block or the home is deemed historical or architecturally significant. The original ordinance mandated two parking spaces.
• Limiting accessory structures to 800 square feet. An accessory structure might be a pool house, shed or studio that does not have all of the amenities needed for habitation, such as a kitchen, bathroom and bedroom.