Making a home office room, is it attractive to buyers?

I am already trying to draw a remodel plan, from 3 BD, 1BH to 5BD,4BH.

During this remodel, I have an opportunity to change one bedroom into a bedroom cum office room, separate entrance door in place of a window.

Will it be attractive to have home office option?

Why?

If someone is having home office business, they can claim home office deduction (Like rental write off) only if they have separate entrance in the home office. IRS will not allow tax deduction unless the owner has separate entrance.

If the home is 2700 sqft and owner spends $3000 on mortgage interest per month, he/she can deduct $1000 ($12000 year) on home office deduction.

This is only allowed if they have separate entrance.

is the area where the red arrow is an outside area? are you thinking of adding an “entrance” to that room from outside then?

I don’t like it. :slight_smile: Having another entrance is one other place to worry about securing it. And younger crowds now prefer a huge open area with large tables etc to serve as an office. Millennials don’t own books, desktop computers, etc. :slight_smile: we work on laptops + ipads.

1 Like

Wut?? Come again?

An office only becomes important once you have kids. Need to be able to go somewhere and lock the door to focus.

1 Like

I love desktops :thinking:

And I treat one of my bedrooms as home office. Don’t like the idea of separate entrance though.

1 Like

Are you a gamer? They are the only ones I know that want a desktop. I do have a docking station for my laptop, since a large screen is way better.

I have 2 kinds of books. CS related books, and non-CS. For CS, “books” became obsolete as most up to date written works are now on axiv, blogs, etc. For non-CS, ebooks are in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is Apple launching a book club? For a monthly subscription, read whatever books you want?

Steve Jobs said nobody read books.

No :thinking:

Yes.

Yes, for look & Feel, security this is an issue.

But, if someone is having home office business, they can claim home office deduction (Like rental write off) only if they have separate entrance in the home office. IRS will not allow tax deduction unless the owner has separate entrance.

My wife prefers an imac at home. She’s not a gamer.

1 Like

I have a large room(family room) which has been made multi functional. It has 2 study tables in 2 corners with large monitors(WFH), book cases, couch with console table with rugs, 65 inch tv. Works great as a home office. The room looks out to the backyard garden from the large sliding glass doors.

My home office is in my attic. :slight_smile:

Why?

If someone is having home office business, they can claim home office deduction (Like rental write off) only if they have separate entrance in the home office. IRS will not allow tax deduction unless the owner has separate entrance.

If the home is 2700 sqft and owner spends $3000 on mortgage interest per month, he/she can deduct $1000 ($12000 year) on home office deduction.

This is only allowed if they have separate entrance.

2 Likes

My CPA never mentioned a home office MUST have separate entrance. That doesn’t make much sense honestly. Are you sure about that? That means someone living in a condo can’t have home office?

2 Likes

IRS rule gives this “A separate structure that’s not attached to your home used exclusively and regularly in connection with your trade or business”

Ref: Topic No. 509 Business Use of Home | Internal Revenue Service

Most of them state Garage is their home office even in condo or TH. New/Media we always hear like this “HP (companies) started from their Garage…” as IRS requires independence between office and home.

When we tax file, normally IRS allows, but when the audit comes, they won’t allow if there is no separate entrance (like garage or separate entrance room).

If there is a separate entrance and is claimed as home office, IRS audit agrees. This is what my CPA informed long back when I did not have separate room. This is mandatory when we have more than 6+ figure income where we may likely be audited (higher income group is always risky).

1 Like