Microsoft Pledges $500M To Tackle Seattle Housing Crisis

MSFT has been there for decades, ignore and now try to be a good guy. Dislike this type of corporate behavior. Just trying to score political points. Where is the proactive action? Because by definition, proactive means won’t happen if taken, hence no credits. Wait for the situation to blow up then do something, score huge political points.

Classic lose/lose situation. You do it, you get complaints from folks like you. You don’t do it, then people complain why aren’t you doing it, you have enough money. To me, if you are going to donate 500 large would it kill anyone if they got a few secs of positive press?

Nonsense conclusion. I am saying why MSFT didn’t take PROACTIVE ACTION!!! Any hypocritical after things happen action is still GOOD.

Well, again, easy for us to say or ask of a any large company (tech or not) to dole out millions for housing proactively. We are a capitalistic society, remember???

Not to mention then stockholders like you perhaps would be complaining, why???

Presumptions, don’t project yourself.

Context. Don’t generalize!!! Seattle is where MSFT is based. MSFT should be well aware of the situation in Seattle. Please focus on context!!!

We are a reactive society (unfortunately)…

I’m disappointed they are doing this. King county already spends over $100k per homeless person between government and non-profits. We should focus on making that $100k more effective, because we could literally rent people apartments, buy their drugs and food for them, and spend less. The problem isn’t lack of money but lack of effectiveness.

A encampment was recently shutdown and 29/30 people refused assistance.

1 Like

Yes, Seattle is becoming more and more like the Fab 7x7 each day…

Soon, you too may have poop, needles and floating bodies…

If I remember right, the voters approved opening a safe injection site. When it came time to open it, the NIMBYs are winning. People may vote for a safe injection site, but no one wants it in their neighborhood. It’s a major reason I can’t respect a lot of liberal view points. It’s the same with helping the homeless. They’ll vote to build more shelters, but they’ll fight like mad to prevent the shelter from being in their neighborhood. It’s fake support.

Microsoft should not use shareholders money for its own charity. If they feel the need to spend the execs should do it out of their own pocket.

WB used to send out surveys to shareholders on how to spend berkshire’s charity money. And after a number of years and some controversy over abortion groups he said fuck it. Corporations are not in the charity business. Make shareholders money and let them spend however they see fit.

3 Likes

Fair enough, but then we shouldn’t be hearing from those people about why is Google, or FB not doing enough??? Go away!!!

500 homes… won’t make a dent.

1 Like

I never think it’s google or facebooks responsibility to build roads and housing. That’s why we have governments and taxes.

1 Like

Charity is for a long term game. Eventually they will be rewarded:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/01/17/massive-new-study-traces-how-corporations-use-charitable-donations-tilt-regulations-their-favor/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7339a8950ada

1 Like

Yes…the ends justify the means???

Come on, it’s only a loan…no biggie. (please, no arguments about opportunity costs…)

Will anyone sign up for one of the loans? It could be a brilliant PR move. Announce you’re making a $500M contribution which is a huge headline. No one will pay attention or remember if it never actually happens.

1 Like

Yup brilliant move. No wonder it has come back winning.