Millennials, Come On Down!

Useful for talking sense during blog :grin:

Always agree with the educated crowd publicly, my toes always laugh at their confidence. In any case, hard to win argument against them, they are eloquent and very logical and full of solid evidences. However, IMHO, outcome is in fact random.

Part of the education system has become brainwashing. I was much more confident when I was at school and fresh out of school.

Many people has zero experience in one area, but their degree has made them expert on all facets of the universe thus they know everything about it and the people who has been living or working are all ignorant

I don’t know, I feel it was not just luck but your persistence that ultimately got you where you are. No one should realistically expect to hit a home run on their first try. Making mistakes is a learning experience (hopefully) so that when the real next opportunity arises you make the move that you would have anyway but this time the outcome is much more positive. That is why I never listen to someone who has never walked in your shoes. They talk a good game, but that is about it…

The part where I have some pretty cash sitting in the bank account earning close to nothing when Steve Jobs return to Apple is luck right? Any financially savvy investors would tell you not to hold cash. The part when I decided to go all into Apple, thinking if a genius can’t do it, nobody can, is not luck I guess, could qualify as a bold decision.

You put yourself in a position to make a killing and you did. I don’t call that luck.

Stock investing is 90% luck, 10% research. .Past performance is never a predictor for the future…Nobody can predict the future. .The problem with stocks is once you make your bet, you can’t control the outcome…

http://www.eastbaymodern.com/blog/millennial-homeownership-rate-increases.html

Marriage is the most important factor in home purchase. Children is second. Degree also increases the home buying possibly correlated with income.

I think homeownership increase in millennials will be the biggest driver for housing market. But how to increase homeownership? You need investors to sell to home buyers, which is not happening. New construction will be the only reason to kill this housing boom

"Homes & marriage go together

Marriage is a key determinate in homeownership. According to an analysis by First American, the homeownership rate is 30% higher among married couples compared to non-married households.

Millennials have put off marriage in the pursuit of higher education. As this group ages, more and more will marry and purchase a home."

2 Likes

Exactly. They may have delayed marriage and having kids, but they are going to do it. As they do, then they’ll become home buyers like every other generation. They might have slightly different preferences, but they’ll buy. Living in the city is cool when you’re single and free to go out every night. It’s not that great when you’re raising kids. I think they’ll still shift to suburbs but maybe not quite as much as prior generations.

Asian and European parents have been raising kids in cities for centuries. I still think city revival is a long term trend.

Is there any data to show that married millennials are choosing Sunset over Millbrae? The preference would be just a preference and not all of them would choose Sunset and def no everyone can buy in Sunset

1 Like

Most won’t have kids, so smaller houses? Or they are like sfdragonboy, 3/2 with 2 spare bedrooms?

Sure they would have kids? Sperm counting is dropping fast, they hardly have sex and at older age. So may be most don’t have kids, so can stay in apartments/ condos of the urban city.

People have posted a few articles about how as millennials marry they are moving to suburbs.

Maybe they won’t have kids, but I wouldn’t bet on zero kids becoming the new normal. Statistically, the highest earners are having the fewest kids, and the lowest income people are having the most kids. So maybe the people that can afford to buy homes will have 0-1 kids, and it’ll be the life-long rents that have larger families.

Most kids will come from Mexicans and other third world immigrants. That’s the the population growth is. White American population continue to decline like the Japanese and Germans.

1 Like

That is my thought. Would it be considered racist remarks in this part of the world?

It’s been shown in every country that the more education that’s offered to women the lower the birth rates become. So yes, population growth is going to come from poor countries where women don’t have access to education.

Not at all racist. In fact, this trend is well documented and released by the US government.

I think I am considered a millennial. Took about twelve years of saving on dual incomes for us to finally snag a home in SF. I am not data - but this millennial preferred Sunset over Millbrae.

2 Likes

Great job, @lasse!!! Your home will go up again as people everywhere else BAKE, while you and I are relatively ok.

Lasse, congrats on your new home. But do you guys prefer sunder over Millbrae?

Sunset is by far better than Millbrae for sure! :smile: