Milpitas Rocking the Overbids!

err… I would honestly appreciate more diversity in where tech jobs are located. Getting too crowded is not good.
Diversify your investments, diversify your tech hubs.

2 Likes

Time for Austin pitch @hanera, maybe we should keep it down low :slight_smile:

I don’t believe in diversifying tech hubs. Just like I don’t believe in diversifying fashion hubs or financial hubs. You need a certain density (not just quantity) of specialty talents for a hub to take off. By definition great talents are in short supply.

How many movie and TV making hubs are there in the world? How many financial hubs? If you are a young model would you launch your career in Ohio or New York?

Hubs are the oldest network effect. And once in flywheel motion hubs are mostly unstoppable.

1 Like

Shenzen could pull it off. No reason others cannot.

I am not saying Silicon Valley is the only one. I am just saying there will be only a handful. So naturally china would have one.

1 Like

I guess i am not saying there will be many, but us needs to diversify. It’s in companies’ best interest to do so.

Satellite offices are not hubs. Boulder or Austin will never be a full brown hub.

1 Like

So amazon HQ2 is not a hub. A mere satellite office, got it.

Also let’s call Seattle a SV wanna-be, and not a tech hub. 1 is enough.

1 Like

One company doesn’t make a hub.

1 Like

manch rampages in his own definition of terms :grin: again.

1 Like

Well for me a hub needs to see some organic startups bubbling up. If a town only serves as SV overflow office is it truly a hub?

If you water down the term too much it becomes meaningless. We can call Sacramento a tech hub if it makes you guys happy.

Well let’s see how it plays. Maybe you are right. I hope you are wrong.
The last thing i want to see is overcrowding of where i live. working towards multiple HQs is YIMBY, in some sense.

Some neighborhoods are very hot!

45%20PM

@manch will compare it with sunnyvale. Buyers beware.

Density is a beautiful thing. Embrace it.

Actually I just thought of an experiment. Of all the tech stocks you guys bought, where are the companies located? I bet over 90% are in Bay Area.

I actually have one in Austin.

1 Like

You are BSing right now. Talking about status quo.
Many big companies moved to bay area, they didn’t start here. They moved because money is here, it can change.

Then look at the young companies. The ones less than 10B cap.

Why would companies move here? Cost is high like everybody says. They are started here.

How is Detroit?

1 Like

VC money is here. VCs don’t like remote-funding people. A lot of VCs won’t even fund south bay companies, but will only work with the ones in the city.

YCombinator is somewhat of a blessing for the valley, but don’t count on it for too long.

Tides can turn easily with basic immigration laws, btw.