More rent control BS

Just roll with the punches. I will seriously consider liquidating my RE if Costa Hawkins is repealed and rent control applies to SFH.

1 Like

you could always buy in Austin! I hear they have a great climate there. And, Iā€™m not thinking of their weather.

1 Like

Rent control will only make sfhs more valuable. There is already a shortage it will just make the shortage more acute. Definitely could affect the value of multi family. But didnā€™t hurt SF values.

3 Likes

So why not 1031 your SC rentals over to Austin? Some people on forum swear by the numbers in Austin.

Texas? No wayā€¦ the next step would be to get out of residential.

Coincidentally, I started working on a small shopping center purchase last month. 40k sqft building space on 2.5 acres right here; looking at the financial summary feels like back in 2003 when I bought my first rental (not my first RE purchase ever, but the first one that was intended to be rented). On paper everything looks great, but itā€™s new territory for me. Buying a rental SFR was much easier as I had already bought 2x for personal occupancy.

So, Iā€™m dragging my feet.

Iā€™m a big believer in California, and Iā€™ve been in Texas for business, a few timesā€¦ letā€™s just say, spending time in Houston made me a bigger believer in California.

3 Likes

My only reservation for commercial is that they are more susceptible to technology disruption than residential. Everybody needs a roof over their heads. Not everyone has to shop at a mall.

On the other hand everyone needs to eat. Maybe commercials with a restaurant focus would be good? Just a random thought.

1 Like

Retail is very risky. You are basically in business with your tenants. Pick them wisely and get a percentage of their profits.

1 Like

This particular center has a mix of office space, service (nail salon etc) and retail.

14 units total, only 2 of them retail sales - liquor store and Dollar store :frowning: I knowā€¦ as I type it, I just realize it. 2 eateries.The rest is service industryā€¦ tax preparation, small gym, andā€¦ drum rollā€¦ the County has an office in it.

To paraphrase your wordsā€¦ everyone needs to eat, and everyone needs the government!

Now think of that. The County giving me residential rent control, and then they enact something similar so that I cannot raise their own rent either. Hilarious!

1 Like

Evict the county as soon as you buy it. Tell them to build there own building. Then they will find out how hard it isā€¦

3 Likes

So, I opened up the document and read once more. Itā€™s 4 actually retail sales. Every tenant has a lease with a start date, end date, and additional details like scheduled increases and renewal options. Except the County. They do not have an end date. They do pay the largest $/sqft, they occupy 6000 sqft and their rent is more than 25% of the gross rent.

It might not be possible to evict the County. Nor might it be reasonable.

I like your suggestion though. Good spirit! I probably wonā€™t buy this property. Iā€™m not ready. The agent most likely has it in contract already anyway.

2 Likes

Everybody needs to eat. Everybody needs the government. Nobody needs to drink but most do. Looks like this mall has a pretty good mix.

I have never seen liquor stores gone out of business.

1 Like

Can you elaborate more on this? I have been to Austin, Houston, and Dallas several times for business as well ā€” certainly a different lifestyle. Wide open spaces, pickā€™emā€™up trucks, firearms, gotta drive everywhere, etc ā€¦ but what made you a bigger believer in CA (honestly want to know since ā€œconventional wisdomā€ is the opposite.)

What an astute observation. FWIW, I was looking at a small commercial strip mall on Pico Blvd just east of Century City and West of Mid City in LA a while ago. Among the disclosures I was reading was a warning that the pre-existing liquor store was apparently a magnet for unsavory types ā€” lots of police action from unsavory types dealing drugs, creating disturbances, etcā€¦ all in front of the liquor storeā€™s parking lot. I passed on the project.

Indeed, this a good way to blunt (but not eliminate) the impact of rent control. The law firm that I use to draft my leasing contracts is well versed in protecting landlords in the city of SFH, and their ā€œstarting case standard leasesā€ are all like this ā€” separate parking fee, separate ā€œuse of laundry servicesā€ fee, etc etc etc ā€¦ as well as water fees, electricity fees, trash fees ā€¦ all because these fees can be raised without being subject to rent control.

This past weekend I happened across an open house for a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment for rent in lower nob hill for $2900. I was intrigued - that is a very cheap price! Once I entered the building ---- it was a virtual cesspool of desperation and despair. The entry foyer to the building was dark and dingy. A dilapidated old sofa lay in the corner. The carpets probably hadnā€™t been cleaned since the Johnson administration. The unit itself ---- wonky new pergo floors, kitchen was craptastic ā€” and was 8ā€™x14ā€™ combined with the dining area, and the rooms were like 8ā€™x10ā€™. It was all just crap.

After talking to the landlord, I knew why. She has had the building for many decades, but two of her tenants has been in the building for 50+ years. Thatā€™s half a century of being subsidized by the landlord. Can you imagine what those tenants must be paying for rent after 50+ years? At least the last 30 must be under rent control!!! Perhaps a few hundred dollars per month? I talked some more with the building manager ---- of course, steam heat and water and trash are all paid for by the landlord. Sigh.

:frowning:

1 Like

It sounds like residential is going the way of the NNN commercial lease. I wonder if you can pass on insurance and property tax increases the way NNN does.

Retail requires a high cap rate. Much less reliable tenants. Much higher maintenance costs. The parking lot alone is a bearā€¦ must be at least $40k month rentā€¦ big money means big problems. Need a healthy maintenance reserve

3 Likes

What cap rate would you require for a shopping center in Santa Cruz or East San Jose? With a liquor and Dollar store but no payday lender ā€¦ yet!

Cap rates for commercial (non-RE) in bay area are abysmal. Too much money chasing too little inventory Spent a lot of time looking at it last year and gave up. itā€™s (cap rate) only a little higher then RE but a lot more risk

2 Likes

10 cap
Depending on financing and market rents. Retail is week nationwide. Think of all the shopping centers going under.

1 Like

You need a strip club in there with that caliber of tenants.

1 Like