Mountain View Home Listed for $1.6M, But There's a Catch

In another sign the Bay Area real estate market has hit another WTH moment, a Mountain View home went up for sale for $1.6M, with a big catch: the seller wants to be able to live there for the next seven years, for free.

Does he look like Chris Pratt?

Signed,

Miss Harriet

1 Like

Nice MV house sold for $1.2M onlyā€¦

INteresting move.

My first thought. ā€œNo.ā€

Those two are nothing alike.

The proposition here sucks. Iā€™d rather pay anotherā€™s 150k and take possession today.

I recall a south pa house that did something similar and the house didnā€™t sell until it was removed.

1 Like

Assume $1.6M sales, $500k down, and $1.1M loan at 4%:

Monthly mortage payment is $7k. Annual tax payment is $20k. Cost for 7 years is $700k.

So will the property be worth more than this in 7 years? $2.3M. $950k (remaining on loan) + $500k1.03%^7 (assume 3% return on downpayment) + $700k1.03% ( estimate on the return of annual payment; Iā€™m too lazy to calculate this) = $2.3M, not including maintenance costs. What do you think?

And I assume this can be considered rental for passive income/tax purposes?

This will not sell. The sellers are out of their f**king mind.

Doesnā€™t this just mean that the sales price should be $700K under what it is currently worth? Otherwise why would you buy a house and not get rental income for 7 years? Youā€™ll get the increased value one way or another. (I guess thoughā€“wouldnā€™t rent be about $4K/month? So thatā€™d be $48K/yr=$336K

Also extensive fixes to be done by buyer before closing?

Who is this guy kidding?

And also isnā€™t a rent back for 7 years about the same as rent back for 8 years if the seller refuses to leave?

They changed the content of the public listing:

Single Family residence distressed condition. Great location. Exterior Viewing Only.

Perhaps they changed things, but doubtful. I read the article and it says how itā€™s sad? Curious. At least Erika Enos knows the deal.

(Enos said, ā€œThe asking price reflects market value, which is essentially lot value, for this area. I empathize with the seller but the terms and conditions for this sale I feel are unrealistic and may have negative legal ramifications.ā€)

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s wrong with the seller, but even $1.6M with no rent back is a great deal of cash to retire on somewhere cheaper.

Wonder how much itā€™s going for and the terms.

Wow! Sold for 1.1M. Someone crunch the numbers. That actually doesnā€™t sound terribleā€¦

2 Likes

Honestly, this transaction stinks. Seller agent is the same as the buyers agent. The listing price was 1.6M and you go pending in 5 days at 1.1M.

Seller got screwed. Nothing about this is good. Even the tax man got screwed. Now the transaction is hidden as a normal transaction. Not sure what grounds the tax man would have to revalue the transfer.

Now I feel sorry for the seller. This would not be the first time an RE agent has screwed a seller over.

If only we were the buyerā€¦

Nah, 7 years is too long to wait. Holding costs are expensive. I feel like the seller got screwed over by the agent.

This hole in the wall is a pending probate @ ~1.63M, available overbid is close to 1.8M ā€“ https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Carlos/1705-Eaton-Ave-94070/home/1424452. The rules on a probate sale are clear and transparent. This other transaction is the exact opposite and look what happened. IMO, MTV is a pricier locale.

$1.1M might not be the whole story. Looks like tax assessment per Zillow is $278K. Most likely only Uncle Sam got screwed. Something probably happened under the table to save property tax for the buyer and capital gains tax for the seller.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have the same feeling. Maybe even that 7-year wait is not real. How about 500K cash under the table tax-free? Can the seller move sooner? I bet they can.

Sold, @manchā€¦

SOLD

Umm, that is a slow moving cloud over thereā€¦