Moving for Cheaper Housing Won’t Necessarily Save You Money

And lower federal taxes. That’s all accounted for in the calcs. (Didn’t include kid deductions though).

You are right obviously that lost cash flow isn’t thrown down the drain, it’s put into equity.

It’s more simply that for many people that loss of buffer cuts down their cash flow too much and they have to start really controlling spending elsewhere to not be in the red monthly.

Yes in my case (at least right now), renting and putting cash flow into equities was clearly financially better, but that’s an unlikely assumption to make consistently :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Where they are moving to and from:

4 Likes

They should look at total too.

“Austin, for its part, is not experiencing a pandemic-induced tech worker surge. Last year, Austin was gaining 2.06 tech workers for every one that left; now it’s down to 1.84, a drop of 10.78%. Though Austin is still gaining tech workers this year, the notion that 2020 was a watershed year for tech workers moving there is a myth.”

Based on the numbers in the article, Austin still has one of the highest growth rates. It’s just not as high as 2019. Some of the cities with the biggest increase in growth rate turned from negative to barely positive. I wouldn’t exactly cheer that as a booming tech growth.

2 Likes

Good points.
posted the article because it had some data instead of touchy freely opinions.

1 Like

Schools are getting better, and North Star is considered pretty good. Also has Mandarin and Spanish Immersion programs. K-8 I don’t know that San Carlos would do any better.

High school, people probably prefer Paly, but again, not sure that San Carlos is better than Woodside or Sequoia. Woodside is better than MA for math curriculum.

If you really want top-notch, you’ll need private anyways. Save on the house, pay for tuition.

1 Like

I want to see stats for Tahoe :slight_smile:

A lot of my ex-coworkers worked for Elon and had seen him in action too. However, I’m not sure if anyone had invested into Tesla besides myself :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Look like only @wuqijun, @marcus335 and me believe in founder-CEO :grinning: and doesn’t care about short term fundamentals nor TA.

+1!

Believe North Star has the highest test scores of any public elementary on the Peninsula. Prove me wrong…

A co worker has rented for the past one month in Tahoe, I learnt :slight_smile: .

Will Sacramento include the Tahoe area?

Skiers and hikers will come to Tahoe.
People with kids will want better schools or will go private. There is a ski academy at Squaw and a Hockey academy in Meyers

Perhaps with an influx of families from the BA, there’ll be a demand for good schools.

We have a friend with a gifted kid who moved there during SIP. Maybe they won’t last, but they seemed happy with the move and being more outdoors.

Yeah, but NSA is a test-in school… So they are taking the kids 80th %ile and up from the RWC school system.

But overall, for a free GATE school, we’re happy with it. You’ll get better if you pay for an independent private (which we’re also doing), but I’m a bit skeptical that it’s worth paying more for the surrounding cities except PA. We’d still have ended up with a kid in a private possibly even in PA.

The schools are good. It is the students that are questionable. Ski bums kids. My good friend taught high school. The student body president was the biggest drug dealer in school. Everyone liked him. She moved to Reno… schools are tough there. Half the students there are non native English speakers.

1 Like

:laughing:

High School marginal. The local college is actually pretty good since UC is forcing kids to go to junior college first. Ski School.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/california/districts/lake-tahoe-unified/south-tahoe-high-2427

Oh boy. That is pretty bad…

@manch I mentioned uipath before! You even liked the post!

this is going to go for $1.35. Guaranteed.

1 Like