My own little patch:I’ll share some updates on my stock positions in this thread

image
I know this is mostly a buy and hold stock group.

Just sharing some of my own thoughts here…not financial advice or a recommendation. I just like having a place where we can talk about this stuff and share ideas.

I added to INTC at $85 , and it’s now about 18% of my total position.

SPCX:my cost basis is around $125, with about 5% allocation . Once I got to that position size, SPCX started moving pretty quickly, so I didn’t chase it or add more. For me, that’s enough for now.

I’m the type of investor who trades around short, medium, and longterm opportunities. If there’s a good chance to take some profit, I’ll take it.

That’s pretty much my style. Just sharing my 2 cents.

4 Likes

new GOOG position around $327 .

I’ll add more if the price moves lower. In my view, $300–$310 would be a really attractive range to add.

I still see the indexes getting back to around 8,000 after the September and October pullbacks, but short term, it’s going to be extremely choppy.

For September, my worst case scenario would be somewhere around 7,200 . That said, I still believe the government or the Fed will step in if things get bad enough, so there’s definitely a human policy factor here.

For now, 7,640 is the first key support level .

Oil is around $100 a barrel right now, and the U S. government is already getting pretty concerned about it. People driving around over Labor Day weekend and paying close to $6 a gallon at the pump is getting pretty crazy. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It’s more like $4 in AZ but yeah, enough to feel it.
This is no longer about the middle east. Nothing new there; just tit for tat stuff and oil continues to move through the Straight of Hormuz albeit at reduced volumes. It’s now about the massive damage Ukraine has inflicted on Russian energy infrastructure.
Not sure Warsh wouldn’t welcome a market pullback and stay out of the way. S&P up about 60% since the start of 2024. . A little asset deflation might be welcome since he can’t do anything about the price of oil.

1 Like

The only good news today is that the market managed to hold the 7,580–7,590 support level. So, for now, the bull trend isn’t completely broken yet.

Tomorrow is the big one. We’ll get to see the real Kevin Warsh.and whether he’s going to kiss up to Trump.

I see three possible scenarios:
If they hike rates tomorrow, but Warsh sounds dovish afterward, we could see a small drop first, followed by a strong rebound.

If they hike rates and he stays hawkish, we could see a serious Wall Street bloodbath, with the market potentially dropping toward the 7,480 support level I mentioned this morning.

If they don’t hike rates, but Warsh comes out hawkish, stocks could rally tomorrow at first, but then get hit hard and sell off afterward.

So tomorrow is going to be very interesting.

So I’m also leaning more toward a market pullback. For now,7,200 is still the level I’m watching as the downside target.

My worst case scenario concerns the paradigm shift since the last inflationary cycle. Due to almost two decades of QE and ZIRP the US economy is now so highly leveraged that primary costs are driven as much by the cost of money itself as by the cost of labor, materials and energy. This ugly reality leads to the possibility that rate increases actually send inflation higher and not lower. Eventually the Fed is forced to throw in the towel and admit to the world - by action if not by word - that they have lost control of the money supply. No investment strategy can offer protection from the fallout of that. Now we’re talking survival and not investing. BTW way much of the western world is the same boat - just behind us on the curve.

I understand what you’re saying, and honestly, I think there’s a lot of truth in that concern. I wouldn’t just dismiss the possibility that the economic environment we’re dealing with today is very different from what we saw in previous inflationary cycles.

I’ve lived in the U.S. for some years now, and coming from Hong Kong, I probably look at the American economy a little differently. I’ve seen different financial systems, currencies, interest rate environments and capital flows, so I tend to pay alot of attention to how debt, liquidity, rates and money moving around all connect with each other, instead of looking at inflation or interest rates by themselves.

I also agree with what you said about the cost of money. After so many years of very low rates and easy money, it has become a much bigger part of the economy. Higher rates don’t just hit consumers. They raise financing costs for businesses, real estate, infrastructure and pretty much the whole debt structure. So yeah, I do think it makes the Fed’s job alot more complicated than just raising rates and hoping inflation comes down.

Where I see it a little differently is that I don’t think we can assume the worst case is going to happen. There are still alot of moving parts, and the U.S. economy has always had a pretty strong ability to adjust. That’s why when I make investment decisions, I try to look at the short term, medium term and long term separately.

For me, traditional investment strategies just don’t work exactly the way they used to either. Fundamentals and valuations still matter, of course, but so much of the market today is driven by sector rotation, where the money is going, industry cycles and near term catalysts.

And honestly, I think that’s one of the biggest differences between older investors and what we see today. Years ago, you didn’t see nearly as many people willing to put $200K into options instead of actually owning the stock. Now you see it all the time. That tells me alot about how much the market and investor psychology have changed.

So I definitely take your worst case scenario seriously. I just don’t think we’re at the point of saying it’s “survival rather than investing” yet. I’d rather keep watching the data, the Fed, where capital is moving and how different sectors are reacting, then adjust when the picture changes.

That’s really how I’ve come to look at the market over the years. Stay flexible, protect your capital when things change, and don’t get too attached to one strategy. Sometimes the market is going to prove you wrong, and you just have to be willing to admit it and adjust.
I’m probably a little too wordy, lol

1 Like

I’m out of INTC ! bought at $85 and sold at $124. a45% gain is more than enough for me.
Current holdings
GOOG 334.7
DRAM 54.9
CRWV 79.5
NBIS 200
IREN 40.85

1 Like

Sold DRAM at $63.60 for a 15% gain.
Sold IREN at $48 for a 17% profit.
Sold NBIS at $242 for a 21% profit.
I love these quick trades, haha.

Added to my CBRS position at $201.50.

2 Likes

Bought NBIS again at $229!!!
RCL 225
COHR 302
IREN 47.75
GOOG 338…add

2 Likes

CRWV 85.8 :money_mouth_face:
BE 262

1 Like