Nasty Neighbors

Do you think that note was sufficiently positive?

I’m sorry. What I meant was professional tone, not positive tone.

1 Like

Do you think what I wrote is appropriate? If not, how would you change it?

“I’d like to remind you that the spots in front of your house are public property (diagram of property lines), and anyone has the right to park there without being harassed. If you don’t like seeing cars out your window, you might consider putting up curtains or a trellis as a privacy screen. I parked in the middle to allow you and L____ to have visibility while pulling out as L has previously requested. If I need to park there in the future, I’ll try to use one side or the other instead. L____ has requested that people not park in front of her house either, so you both need to accept that there will be times where both of your requests cannot be accommodated at the same time.”

The 72 hour rule is actually a 144 hour rule. You can call in a car that has been there for 72 hours but they can’t take your word for it. So it is 144 hours plus the time it takes them to come out and check on it.

2 Likes

Thoughts anyone?

IMO, I would not start off stating that you are reminding them of some law. Who wants to read that?

I might go with something along these lines IF TRUE that you are only parking there in front of their home periodically. Honestly, I did not read the entire initial post to know why or how long you need to park there. Ok, let’s take a stab at this:

Hi Neighbor,

As a relatively new homeowner here, it has always been my hope to foster not only good, but great relationships with all of the families around here. You never know when we can help each other out. For example, if you guys go on vacation we can surely watch your place for you or take in the garbage cans. I do apologize for the parking issue, (but if X spot around my home is taken) I may have to resort to periodically parking in front of your home. I get it, it is not ideal, but the parking spaces in front of all of our homes are public spaces, available to anyone to use. In some way, wouldn’t you prefer that it is a neighbor’s vehicle that is parked in front instead of a true stranger? I hope you understand and can work with me on this. Thank you.

Toning it down some and showing the benefits of neighbors helping each other is worth pursuing but then being firm about your rights and conveying that would be my strategy.

6 Likes