Nasty Neighbors

OMG… What do you do with neighbors like this??? This was the second neighbor to leave a note on my minivan btw… I’d been parked in front of her house less than 24 hours.

This was the first neighbor - also parked there less than 24 hours. These neighbors are next to each other fyi.

It’s a public street. Tell them to f-off. That’s crazy.

6 Likes

Go talk about it on Nextdoor. I bet they are regulars there.

I can see people may be upset if it’s a huge camper van or something. But a regular car? Tell them to go pound sand.

1 Like

It is a public street. Seriously, what are they complaining about? Looking out my window I see your car??? Really? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

You know that’s funny - the previous occupants of the first letter’s (second day’s) rental did have a camper van.

…and I NEVER complained about the camper van either, but they did get harassed by anonymous people.

1 Like

You are exceptionally kind @Terri. I have seen people being triggered by camper vans parked on neighbors’ own driveways. They are not even parked on public streets.

1 Like

You have never talked to these neighbors before these notes since you bought your house?

I have chatted with them multiple times while taking a walk (I live on a flag lot, so I have to come to the street to talk to people). On one occasion, the lady from the first day (second note) had already asked me not to park close to her driveway because she backs out and has trouble seeing past cars so park “over there”. Which I did this time just as she’d asked.

The second person just moved in maybe 6 months to a year ago.

I suspect they don’t know that the minivan is actually mine.

I’m not close friends with either of them.

I moved my car after this in front of a third house. The third person, I actively texted because I consider her a friend (she’s an older lady, but still), and I did not want to be angry with her and I was pretty livid after the second note. She’s told me she’s glad I contacted her because she doesn’t mind people who live here parking on the street, but otherwise she calls the police after 3 days if someone’s parked in front of her house.

I also proactively wrote the neighbor in front of us because we have my husband’s car parked out there. No need to sour that relationship so soon, and yesterday I was ready to tell people off in a very impolite way.

My elderly parents are here, and it’s hard to navigate our parking area. We tried to move cars to street to give them maneuvering room. They actually damaged the rental car backing out of my driveway the morning of the second note. So I’d come home to essentially a pile of glass at the bottom of my driveway and a nasty note on my car. I was not in a good mood. I am posting here because it helps me get past these things. Thank you for listening to me gripe.

4 Likes

I totally sympathize. There just a lot iof crazy rude people out there. My neighbor on my farm has sweared at me and threatened to kill me my wife and my employees for 3 years. A xenophobic Nazi racist asshole. My neighbor in Tahoe has a barking dog that barks 24/7. Has threatened me and my wife. Is just a crazy old techie ( owns an internet security company) from Cupertino basically an old asshole. There are just a lot of miserable people out there. My neighbors in Emerald Hills still have parties every first Friday. It’s a great way to meet and socialize with neighbors. Try Nextdoor to find out about your neighbors. Better yet get a dog and walk the neighborhood. People love dogs and it’s the best way to meet people.

4 Likes

Ouch. Keep safe elt1. We’d miss you.

I have been in construction and property management for almost 50 years and have developed a thick skin. It seems these days everyone is on edge always the victim. Quick to blame Quick to anger. Maybe my neighbors need anger management therapy. Maybe the whole country does.

1 Like

Remember Quaaludes back in the 70’s? So ubiquitous that they were a gag and Saturday Night Live (“the California State Pill”).
How did meth ever make a comeback (remember “Speed kills?”) but that stuff faded away - right when America was about to need it.

We have a men-cession in this country. Many miserable men out there.

1 Like

1 Like

Yeah, and these guys are masters of that 72 hour rule.

So yesterday, I moved minivan back to house #1, and person #3 apparently was chatting with #1 on the street, and called me today to try to work out a truce reminding me that I was welcome to park in front of her house. I gave in and moved the car because I care about #3 and she was pretty insistent. Offered to let me even park in her driveway. How do you turn down someone like that?

I’m considering sending a note to #2 because “I’m having a problem with you parking here” and “Please don’t park here anymore” are unacceptable to me. As if she has the right to tell everyone on the street how to live.

Thinking about “I’d like to remind you that the spots in front of your house are public property (diagram of property lines), and anyone has the right to park there without being harassed. If you don’t like seeing cars out your window, you might consider putting up curtains. I parked where I did to allow you and L____ to have visibility while pulling out. If I need to park there in the future, I’ll use one side or another instead. L____ has repeatedly requested that people not park in front of her house either, so you both need to accept that there will be times where both of your requests cannot be accommodated at the same time.”

Thoughts? Should I just stay silent? Seems like it’s letting a bully bully, plus I’m not promising not to park there again. But I don’t really have the time to deal with WW3 on my street.

You should definitely send a note to #2. Just maintain a positive tone while asserting your right to park in public spaces.

1 Like

Throw a Christmas block party. Pot luck. Try to get to know your neighbors personally. Notes, texts and emails promote animosity not neighborliness…

4 Likes