NIMBY against Teacher Housing in Almaden

Sunset and Chinatown tried to turn down every application to open marijuana dispensaries. Is that nimbyism? No one in sunset and Chinatown smoke weed?

Wow, teachers are equal to weed nowā€¦

Not saying teacher housing is same as weed shop. But the same principle works in nimbyā€™s mind: I donā€™t want that thing in my hood, why donā€™t you put it elsewhere.

No way, big difference. You are talking about a substance that is ILLEGAL based on federal law. Do you want to argue that?

Next time you see someone smoking weed in sunset call the FBI.

1 Like

There is a bigger agenda than just teacher housing, the school district is creating teacher housing sentiment to push through their agenda. btw teachers pay is pretty decent. If you consider both husband and wife are teachers they can easily afford to buy and live in this area.

3 Likes

How about water treatment plants? Why put that plant in bayview instead of sunset? Sunset people donā€™t shit?

Again, you chose to be there. You knew what was there. That side has always been an industrialized area of SF.

Besides, stick to the topic or specifics. I am completely ok with the proposed teachers housing planned for the outer Sunset. It makes sense. Do you see me crying ā€œNot In My Neighborhood?ā€ Sheesh, and I donā€™t even have kidsā€¦

The two site arrangement is a mystery and the board should explain why they chose to do it that way. At least give a compelling explanation. I am a YIMBY and even I see why parents are upset.

Early stages from what I can find, but if true that enrollment is declining or if the buildings are old and say not retrofitted for earthquake and thus cheaper to rebuild schools from scratch, would that be ok for you?

Retrofit the schools but not if those schools are turned into housing? Not convincing. You want teachers to live in dangerous buildings?

According to parents who actually live there thereā€™s no enrollment issue at those schools. The fact they are talking about rebuilding those two schools acknowledge that. If there are so few students why even rebuild?

1 Like

Well, letā€™s see some actual facts Sir on this oneā€¦

Would you build two brand new schools if there is enrollment issue? Does that make sense to you?

My understanding is that the whole area is projecting to be growing. Your World Class city might actually get to that level. Yes, not much information being given out yet and yes very early stages. But, again, letā€™s hit that teacher shortage crisis head on. I donā€™t see a problem with that, but donā€™t tell me that a teacher complex does not fit the neighborhood character. That is nonsense, and you know it.

One crappy parent said shit. Yup. Letā€™s call it what it is. But that doesnā€™t negate the legitimate questions and concerns other parents have.

Absolutely agree on this.
I donā€™t think anyone here disputes on this.

The solution is to use the Internet to teach. Nobody likes teaching ungrateful kids. Use technology to revolutionize teaching and eliminate teachers.

1 Like

Absolutely NOT! We already have kids that are weened on computers and phones that they lack social skills as it is. Having online teachers will make it worse.

We should make it like England. If you donā€™t pass your O levels at 16 you are headed to a trade school. Then the smart ones have to pass A levels. At least that the way is was 50 years ago. No need to waste time on students that would rather be learning a trade or working. Too many degreed baristas already.
Schools need to made more effective and efficient for those who want to learn. For those who donā€™t, socialize them in other ways.

1 Like