No more stocks for me. Just real estate investments

EXACTLY.
The only thing I would add is that often people who do learn about market/economy/stock investment - sometimes very smart people - still unperformed the broader market.

1 Like

Either real estate or stocks, any one can make money, run the business successfully. Success depends on various factors, timing, cash position, leverage benefits…etc. There are pros and cons on each of these.

If you want to analyze broadly, keep it equal standards, stocks will outsmart real estate in the long run. This is well known with google search results.

It is like buy vs Rent, this debate, Stock vs Real estate, never ends

2 Likes

WB used to make fun of these guys, he usually refers to doctors, sometimes hedge fund managers. Now, I think should replace doctors with SWEs :joy:

4 Likes

High risk high return :slight_smile: In the long run, a higher risk investment should yield higher return. But. Yes, but short-term anything can happen AND you can be insolvent and don’t have sufficient time to recover because you’re older than me :wink: And I don’t have sufficient time to recover compared to wqj. So better be as prudent as you can. Adopt WB’s “don’t lose”.

1 Like

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
That’s life insurance money contributed to an IUL.

I rest my case.

You can’t, won’t succeed if you keep your hands in too many losing investments.

Has anybody done a study of their own money placed on a stock, say Apple where they can track what’s their profit and match it against what that investment would produce if they put in into a CD or any municipal funds, o anything attached to the whims of the stock market?

I make the questions because most of people I ask questions about their contribution on a 401K can’t and won’t have any concrete answer of the total amount every month or year. They don’t even have any idea of how much they have grown. None at all, just “I got money there”.

Lead by a true statement doesn’t imply the ensuing statements are true. Playing game :crazy_face:

Asset allocation. Risk adjusted return. What most of us should aim for is a stable return. So putting all in one basket is not a good idea. Tell me how your IUL help to achieve this aim? Why would I want to complicate my asset allocation with IUL if my current asset allocation can already meet the goal of IUL? Too many instruments are hard to track and usually lead to bad return. KISS :slight_smile: Primary, S&P index, rentals and focussed stock portfolio in descending order of building up. Ahem… I did build up rental before stock portfolio :blush:

2 Likes

He thinks telling a lie (or false statement) 10000000000000000 times will become truth !

1 Like

OK…

I am going to ask you this: you have $100 to invest, and I am going to use “invest” though I can’t use that word with my clients. Got it.

OK, You buy a stock from say Apple at $100
Then, they allow you to pull $80, you never pay it back.
Now, your tock is worth $80 earning I don’t know, say 7% annually, compounding interest as seen during the last 20 years. Jill mentioned it, S&P 500 index is giving you 7% returns, compounding interests.

Now, remember the $80 you borrowed?

Invest it on whatever you like.

Or, just add another $20 to buy another $100 stock from Apple.

You put $100, got $160 to work with.

Added: Do this month after month. What the results would be? :wink:

Did I tell you that your $100 or whatever positive return “stock” in Apple is not going to lose its value but will go up when Apple goes up?

That is leveraging your money.

You won’t get it if you are a negative people stuck in old stuff. That’s all. :laughing:

I thought you were a cold, fact saying person. You are losing your credibility by acting like Marcus, is he your handler? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

What I said above was an opinion!

Don’t be that dumb! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

You fraudulent troll. That’s not what happens as has been explained and proven. You’re paying interest to borrow back the 80%. You are so stupid you can’t even see you’re literally betting the investment gains in the IUL policy will be higher than the loan interest. If not, you lose money. 40% of the years you’ll lose money based on the interest rate you provided and 30 years of market returns.

1 Like

Checked just now. MCA is down from 14.5 to 12.3. Why? I am looking for something that’s like a CD (no loss of principal) but better interest rate. Tax friendly is even better.

It seems the investors on this forum prefer individual investments vs buying an index (for example S&P500).

Is this a fair observation? Why do you prefer individual stocks over an index or vice versa?

For me, Individual stocks are wild ride, better gains, better dividends in the long run than indexing.
As long as I feel that I have enough skill set to choose individual stocks, I will definitely buy stocks than indexes.

I tried small amount indexes or mutual funds, but it is boring for me.

In some retirement accounts, I still have HACAX and DODGX considerable good amount (There is no choice better than these).

In my taxable account, I have FZROX, but every low amount.

It’s typical for bond investments to decline in value when rates are increasing.

1 Like

I guess the treasury bonds are an exception. They always retain their face value, right?

1 Like

No. Fun to talk about stock picking but majority fund is in index fund.

Sure you can beat the geometric series 1.11 x 1.11 x 1.11 x 1.11 … ?

1 Like

Yah I am about 65% VFIAX myself

1 Like

They retain face value, but the price you pay will vary unless you buy on issue. As rates go up, you’ll pay below face value for older bonds with lower coupon rates. You want to watch yield to maturity. That’s a combination of coupon rate plus market price vs face value.

If you ever sell a bind before maturity, there’s a risk it’ll be worth less than face value.

3 Likes

I hold a mix of index + individual. I’m considering going very simple in future aka Bogleheads style.

Mainly because I do think I need to spend more time on active income earning and less on thinking about a portfolio that is too small to actively manage.

4 Likes