One for elt and other engineering types

La Honda, my old CA haunt, spent years dredging and re-lining one of three reservoirs supplying the town. It had been dis-used for an extended period due to high levels of organic matter which would cause the water to exceed state limits for disinfection byproducts once it was chlorinated. The HOA got a government grant to help with this which ended up blowing out costs with all the added requirements (they’ll never do that again) and adding at least three years to the timeline. It was completed last August, just before I left.
Well, after a rainy season that dumped nearly 50 inches since December a spring opened up under the whole thing. It created a bubble, displacing the liner and causing air to be sucked under it from around the edges which resulted in further lifting. Contractor isn’t responsible - Act of God. They’re searching for an engineering solution. Anyone ever dealt with this?

Looks like you got out just in time. Little water companies are in big trouble. Government regulations are killing them. We have several in Tahoe. Rates are skyrocketing.

La Honda was at $375 a month when I left. Expected to go to $500 over the next several years. Now who knows.
We have a little water company here in Strawberry. Decent infrastructure. $49 a month.
I could drill a well on my recently acquired property near the Tortalitos but will probably just have water trucked in. $150 for 4000 gallons. Unless you have irrigation and livestock that’s a LOT of water.

My well on my farm only uses $20/m electrical power for the water in the winter. About $200/m in the summer to irrigate 2 acres in the summer. In the BA with municipal water the water bill would be $2000/m in summer. My well pump is powered with expensive PGE power. $500/m is outrageous

Out here power is reasonable but wells can run 30k-70k and you really don’t know which it will be until you drill. And there’s always the chance it will run dry in future.
4000 gallons a month supports a small water feature for attracting wildlife. I’m not going to be growing anything in the desert. Just enjoying the native flora and fauna. Here’s a picture of the palo verde in bloom.

Move to San Diego. Water here is only $30 a month.