Oregon passes bill to eliminate single-family zoning

After a dramatic false start, the Oregon Senate on Sunday gave final legislative approval to a bill that would effectively eliminate single-family zoning in large Oregon cities.

House Bill 2001 passed in a 17-9 vote. It now heads to Gov. Kate Brown desk to be signed into law.

It will allow duplexes, triplexes, fourplexes and “cottage clusters” on land previously reserved for single family houses in cities with more than 25,000 residents, as well as smaller cities in the Portland metro area. Cities with at least 10,000 residents would be required to allow duplexes in single-family zones.

We need something like that in CA!

Only in city limits, no increased density in “the County”, right?
We’ll see if CA will fill this loophole.

Nimbyies will declare war. There will be blood in the streets.

No war in Oregon though. Nimbies tougher in CA?

Oregon is full of middle class folks. California’s middle class has moved to Texas or Oregon. The rich and the poor are anti growth.

1 Like

Can you imagine fourplexes (on 1-acre lots) popping up in Los Altos Hills?

No, I don’t. Even if I’m allowed to build 4 plex in Los Altos Hills, I wouldn’t do it since SFH may net more money. I would build 4plex in a more convenient and more popular place. Exclusive is not popular

Oakland already has a tax on ‘vacant’ land.
Next: a penalty for not implementing the highest density permitted.

1 Like

Politicians should force everyone to do the opposite of their wishes. If you want to build a SFH, they will force you to build a 4plex. When you want to build a 4-unit condo, force you to build a single family house. When you want to build, forbid you from building. When you have no money to build, force you to build by charging a vacancy tax.

If you want to have more children, force you have only 1 child. When you don’t have any kid, charge you $500k tax for escaping the responsibility of human reproduction.

If you want to commit suicide, force you to live and send police and nurses to keep you alive. When you don’t want to die, force you go to the war.

2 Likes