Oregon Students Don't Have to Read, Write or do Math Anymore

Don’t most engineers have to take it? All engineering majors at my school had to take it. We took it first or second semester freshman year.

At my school no. Just regular chemistry. Org Chem might have been required for Biology/Chemistry/Chem E

1 Like

A lot of people find organic more intuitive than regular chem. Just C, H, O, and N to worry about. Mostly. Variations thereof with C chains and branches.

A person on Quora who went to MIT for undergrad and Harvard for grad school:

• It is my perception that MIT’s primary focus is to prepare students by training them well and giving them necessary skills for the real world. At Harvard, my understanding is that the institution optimizes to make students happy and successful. For instance, each Harvard dorm has multiple housemasters, and many of them are assigned to give special advice to students on getting prestigious scholarships as well as jobs/graduate/professional school admissions. Same reasoning applies to grading, which is quite lenient at Harvard and much tougher at MIT. I have once had to talk to a dean for giving a student a B- at Harvard. At MIT that student would likely get a D/F. As a whole, I’d say the Harvard student body is happier and more confident. I think MIT’s student body is (a little) more skillful but less happy and more overworked. I prefer the MIT approach for myself, but I think for most people the Harvard model is better.

So students at NYU are rightfully upset at getting bad grades. They paid big tuition money to be “happy and successful”.

1 Like

Can’t extrapolate what NYU students are paying for from the MIT/Harvard dichotomy. Perhaps they’re simply paying to have a night life, but not entitled to being coddled grade-wise.