Orinda? (Wilder)

anyone familiar with this area? How do prices hold up? Is the commute hell?

Anyone familiar with the new Wilder community (new construction). What do you think? High HOA to maintain the community pool/activity center, etc?

Any real-life feedback appreciated!

There used to be a poster that lived in that area. He talked like it was better than Palo Alto, and it was super easy to commute to SF.

@User4?

Anyway I started my home search in 2010 in Orinda. My idea at the time was that it’s commutable to SF by BART, home prices are quite reasonable with excellent schools. It seems appreciation there is slower than the 101 corridor so prices there are still quite a bit lower.

1 Like

I have friends who live in Orinda. Home prices are indeed lower - you get big lots and nice (old) houses. Apparently home insurance in this area takes into account earthquake and fire possibilities.

thanks for the responses! My wife is “interested”… so Rent_and_Vent may turn into Buy_and_Pray (that prices keep going up). I certainly like the idea of a new house. Any reasons NOT to buy a new house?

I dont think 400$ a month for HOA is worth it. You’ll probably only use the pool for 3 months of the year.

Good question. I don’t remember. They posted a lot more when it was on redfin.

In general, less optimal location (because the best lots were built out long ago) and less appreciation. Land appreciates, structures depreciate…so you are putting more of your capital toward the depreciating component of the asset. All of this may be irrelevant if you are purely thinking of it as a home and not also an investment.

2 Likes

thanks, great points!