Plan for Exodus to Seattle

I noticed this too - HOA fees are way higher in Seattle than in BA. Any reason for that? Are they covering more things that would be out of pocket otherwise? Or maybe it rains so much that they have to replace roofing / plumbing every 5 years :rofl:

Too many have fitness centers, concierge, door man, etc… All those extras add up.

3 Likes

My guess is maintenance costs are higher in most places in the US than the BA except in the desert like Phoenix

1 Like

@notabene your plan is similar to mine except I plan to buy one more property here before I move :slight_smile:
I’d keep the SJ rental if I were you.

1 Like

Stop the insanity!! Why would anyone volunteer themselves to Seattle??!! :scream:

The issue is CA home profits are taxed even if you are at Seattle. You need to file two state tax filings always. Then, remote control maintenance , property management issue.

If the gain is more than seattle, if you forecast future P/L, then it may be fine.

Main benefit is retirement, low cost homes and state income tax free.

1 Like

Yes, but appreciation is presumably better in SV than Seattle in the long run.

Stay in BA, grow your income faster and make those points irrelevant.

1 Like

What is this talk about leaving the BA? Don’t do it. Yes, if you have the money/job to live here reasonably comfortably, I would stay. You mentioned that your wife does not like depressing weather. Well, I would worry about how that might seriously crimp your relationship. My wife too loves the cooler climate here and a happy wife is a happy sfdragonboy…

I was confused almost 10 years, whether to stay or move out, finally decided to stay here, then made my first primary home purchase. It took me to get into a good position, after 20 years, now I am fine to stay here in BA.

I’m with you. Don’t like gloomy weather.

None of these are real pros I am sorry. :smile:

Pro development: why are you concerned about that at all? It won’t affect your quality of life in any meaningful way I think. If anything it may degrade yours because of construction noise/dust and road closure.

Coffee: I think SF has enough good coffee shops already.

Homeless: Seattle also has its share. In SF they are concentrated in very small parts of the city.

Seems to me you need to move out of mission bay into say glen park or noe. You will still be close to the action but you won’t see any homeless people in your neighborhood at all.

2 Likes

Wow, some love for the Fab 7x7…

mrs druid and I still have a ways to go before we think of fleeing or staying. I do constantly think about the high income taxes+property taxes we are paying. If I had to leave in 25+ years I would still find something smaller and cheaper just outside the bay area like Sacramento/Folsom. I wouldn’t want to live in any of my rentals - those are strictly for cashflow.

2 Likes

I think the reasons for leaving are fine. SF’s problems aren’t for everyone, and the taxes here and quality of living are a downer. Seems to me that keeping a rental here while moving elsewhere can be a win-win situation.

The weather is a real consideration, though.

One thing that’s not been mentioned yet are kids and colleges. I just looked at tuition for UC Berkeley, and I’m feeling better about staying until the kids make it through college. I think 2 of mine could make it in there. At $14K/yr, if they live at home, I might actually be able to pay for college after all.

1 Like

Ok, let’s all “chip in” and buy, oh, six or even better 8 lucky condos (smh, for suggesting it) in various countries throughout the world. The owners will simply rotate in use during the year so that you can keep your BA residence as your homebase.

I am thinking…

1. Singapore/Malaysia
  2. Vancouver
  3. Dominican Republic/somewhere down there
  4. Hawaii
  5. ???
  6. ???
  7. ???
  8. ???
1 Like

If OP is still young and without children yet, shouldn’t career development determine where one is going to live? All these rental biz is just a side consideration once you nail down where to further your career.

I agree with manch that the pros listed aren’t real convincing. Escaping the Californian state tax is a solid reason, but if the decision is financially driven then one has to look at all factors affecting that.

3 Likes

Right. Moving to a satellite office can be career limiting. If you grew tired of writing code what’s the upward or sideway path you can take?

Major decisions are made in motherships. If you are ambitious you should stay close to power, not 1000 miles away.