Predictions for Sunnyvale, Cupertino

If we have multiple rental properties, periodically once in 7 or 10 years, max (cash) out mortgages, makes you more tax loss, invest it again. If you sell rentals later, most likely we will not pay any taxes too. This is all your retirement savings.

1 Like

So my friend who is employee number less than 300 don’t claim to have the 3M but .5M only as equity. Is he not saying the truth? Curious to know. He is member of technical staff in Nutanix

Edit: joined in dec 2013 as MTS so same title all along?hours were brutal for him but Ofcourse, I would be jealous if 3M is the real number. Could care less about .5M. :yum:

1 Like

I think he only claimed that to try making people not jealous. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Dubai

**[quote=“manch, post:499, topic:1911, full:true”]
I should be wealthy and I should not have to work and I should not have to pay taxes.

Tell me where I should go?
[/quote]

He must be lying. Time to shake him out for a Vegas trip.

2 Likes

Property tax is a tax, right? How can he avoid paying tax in USA? At least he needs to pay sales tax.

I think it depends on a lot of things:

• when did he join (before/after a funding round can make difference)
  • what was his title when he joined (if more junior, smaller initial grant)
  • how well he negotiated
  • growth, dilution of stock etc

There are so many factors that it varies a lot between companies. For example I know very early employees at square who came away with 250K of equity after taxes. And the hours were absolutely brutal there! Like banking hours.

If Nutanix’s share price doubles or triples from this point, now he’d be looking at 1-1.5M which is a solid amount for a home with perhaps a small mortgage.

This situation is the reason I am much happier in a big publicly traded tech company. I estimate that I make at least 100-150K/year more than I would at a startup or pre-ipo company. I also really enjoy investing so having those funds up front works better for me.

3 Likes

Good call. one cannot avoid paying the property tax but -

a) property tax for rental property is completely deductible on one’s tax returns still — which helps to drive income tax on rental income way way down in CA. [though I suspect you are referring to property tax on one’s primary residence, which is unavoidable]

b) since we have prop 13 in CA and we are headed for higher interest rates / more inflationary environment in the future, that will make property tax decline, as a ratio of prop taxes paid vs. rental income (which should at least track inflation), over time.

c) sales tax - again good point - unavoidable. However I do note there are still plenty of amazon marketplace sellers that do not collect sales tax on inter-state transactions.

You are making my jealousy worse :slight_smile:

I say 9M is not tolerable for me…at all cost.

I always thought he is being over worked. Always carried his mac to hang outs as he can jump in to a customer issue if needed etc…not attended many parties. The stock didn’t do much after IPO and suddenly popped…which in itself is

If you guys elect me to your government, I would make it super efficient. You only need to pay a hunger tax to avoid people dying from hunger. I’ll manage this hunger tax by myself. You work and you pay for everything amoung you guys, I won’t interfere with your dealings :rofl:

Hope some of the good guys will set up some charity groups to handle stuff I the government can’t.

1 Like

I think he probably made $10 million. No need to be jealous because after tax is only $7 million :slight_smile:

Come on @wuqijun@LuLu said if Nutanix triples from its current valuation and he doesnt sell his equity. He also told us he sold 75% of his initial grant already… now I don’t have to believe that either but he did but a house…so I know some of it is spent

Why do you care how much he makes? As a friend you should be happy for him if he’s making a boatload of money. I’m the poorest person on this thread, so what? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

NTNX is worst 8B. If he owned 0.01%, he would only have 800k. If he owns 0.1%, he would make 8M pretax.

I think 0.1% is the ceiling for a #300.

My guess is that he could have made 2M pretax if he did not sell. Too bad he sold too early.

@harriet you are right. Just info on what his riskier move paid off where as most of us stuck to bigger stable tech companies. Btw, he is not the closest of my friends…more than an acquaintance but in the same wider circle…that’s all.

Startup is not worth it unless you are the top 10. Or if the company become a 100B company.

By the time you realize it’s in the top 10 the valuation has already gone through the roof.

2 Likes

Tell your friend to work harder. I am shareholder. :smile:

3 Likes

Head South

Dubai is not in the south. Go toward Middle East.

Singapore or HongKong are also good for low tax or no tax living.