Privacy screens, Tree or Other means

I went to two stores, they are cylindrical trees. They have quoted 4-5 feet gap needed between each tree. After buying it, I found that we have exact tree in one of our rental homes.

1 Like

Ok. Guess the picture you had earlier is throwing me off then.

1 Like

These don’t look as great :confused:

looks like this guy’s haircut:

2 Likes

This is in between two neighbor homes front yard, blocking driveway visibility. They were growing very tall and hard to maintain them. Few years before, I asked my gardener to trim at top to stop them grow tall. Now, I realize those are for privacy screens.The picture is from google street view. When you see them, it does not look odd.

I see them on church street in mountain view :slight_smile: They look odd :slight_smile: I know they are privacy things, my mind works in a privacy conscious manner. there seems to be plenty of other trees good for privacy, but not sure which ones are good trees from maintenance pov.

I will probably start with something that blocks the whole backyard myself - not just front yard and drive way. In fact, front yard privacy sounds a bit dumb - noone is in their front yard really.

I think it’s the brown parts that’s problematic.

We should all just build walls in our back yards.

There comes city code: I think we are not allowed to make fence more than 8 feet (or 6 feet) !

1 Like

Trump disagrees.

Leyland Cypress… fast growing. Turns into a 10’ dense fence in three years. Must be pruned annually and staked will blow over in the first year without stakes. Plant 5’ apart, fifteen gallon 6’ high trees… nice hedge 10-40’ high
Very common in BC Canada and England

2 Likes

For a shorter less dense fence than cypress use these 3’ apart pittosporum tenuiflium
3 Likes

I like pitts for privacy and ease of care. Don’t like cypress - the smell bothers me and I get itchy touching it. We have pitts and bamboo (contained for over 30 years) in our side yard.

1 Like

@Jil how are your tree doing? I am in the same boat with wanting some privacy tree in the backyard that could grow to like 15-20 feet. Looking this one and was wondering how do you like your choice?

In one year, as they indicated, it grew 3 feet. In next two years, very likely it blocks the view even though the room is used as storage shed by the backside home. When I planted it was 3 feet (25 gallons pot), but now it is 6 feet appx.

Above all, I am planning for extension of home, appx 750 sqft to 1000 sqft that will block the entire view from this shed. That shed will face the wall and windows will be other sides.

1 Like

@Jil . Thanks, we also decided to go with this Emerald Green Arborvitae as well. Where did you order? Did you order locally or online? We might need like 15 or 20 of those.

1 Like

I got exactly same Emerald Green Arborvitae. Photos attached below.
Got it from Central Wholesale Nursery
Address: 1670 McKinley Ave, San Jose, CA 95126.
They will have plenty, may be 10 or more.
25 Gallons (3ft high) costed me $100+ . If you are buying bulk, you can explore some wholesale nursery at Gilroy or Morgan Hill or Brentwood areas where you can get a deal for 20.

If you need 5 gallons (1 feet high), that may be cheaper. I got five of small size from
Johnson Garden Center, 520 Tennant Ave, Morgan Hill, CA 95037.

There are plenty of Nurseries near by Gilroy or Morgan Hill or Brentwood areas.

Thanks. I am also thinking of 3-4 feet as well.

1 Like