Privacy screens, Tree or Other means

I have a neighbor home shed 6 feet above the fence. This is not in code, but I can not object at this stage, but would like to block the view to my home. I talked to them, they said no one is living and they use it as shed. I talked to them to add a screen (even at my cost), but she said that she will talk to her husband. I do not have any hope of it.

As a privacy screen, I plan to use trees to block the view. I did some research and found two trees are good for such.

Is it good idea or any other suggestions?

The fence is 6 ft and you can see the shed is 6 ft above fence too.

Unless you are walking around naked out there, why won’t you just let it go and go with what they said (that no one is living in the shed and peeping at your gorgeous body)?

1 Like

Are you talking about the building on the left with the window? If so, I’d hardly call that a shed…

Big question is whether or not you can look out that window–is that over the garage, or just a super high skylight?

Otherwise, traditionally people put up what my kids call “pickle trees”. I think they’re called Taylor Juniper. More upright than what you have in the photo. I would NOT do Holly trees if they’re like the Christmas holly. We have one and the spikey leaves mean we can’t go barefoot on our patio. Super painful.

privacy is always good.

2 Likes

I think you should do something. That backyard is pretty plain. You could also put up fruit trees if you want money that grows on trees :). But you have to clean up the spoils.

Shoot, I live in a corner home filled with windows and I walk around in my underwear all the time (granted sheer window coverings make it hard to see anything, and it ain’t pretty anyway). Wife thinks I am nuts but hey it is MY castle and I do as I please.

Now, going back to @Jil’s situation, frankly I wouldn’t be as concerned about the shed than that window on the left that has a complete view of your yard. I probably would have passed on this house, knowing this layout.

Yes, I went to Central Nursery at San Jose. They suggested 1) loquat tree 2) Fig Tree at backyard.

I have seen a fig tree like this near by a building.I do not know how long that takes to grow like this (It is 3 story level).

What layout you say (Are you taking about the backyard shed?)? It is appx 70x140 size. This home had 8 trees at various places that I removed to rebuild. Now, need to decide my privacy!

Fig trees are deciduous, you need evergreens for privacy. I have similar requirement and i planted pittosporum tenuifolium, strawberry tree (arbutus marina multi) and cherry laurel tree. they are not superfast growing but are evergreen.

4 Likes

Meaning that if a neighboring house had an obviously clear, unabated view of my entire backyard to no end, I would have walked. And I did, on such a property. Private sale, no less. I am not going to live next door to someone who can clearly see what we are doing at any given moment in time. Even in SF where I live where houses practically are touching in some cases, at least the neighbor can’t see you.

1 Like

It is very simple solution, just have this American holy or Thuja Green Giant in short distance (4-5ft distance). In two to three years, entire view is blocked.

1 Like

Agreed, if you have the time and patience for it. Frankly, I don’t. I just removed a front lawn and replaced it with Mexican beach stones. Neighbors seem to like it…

Agree on putting a roll of Juniper trees on that side of your lot. Elegant yet functional.

1 Like

Juniper type trees are great as rat nests. Be warned! I had to cut them down in San Jose as rats settled in them and would go and eat neighbors apples.

1 Like

One idea is to erect a pergola with string lights and lanterns. Send a grape vine on it. Or you can add nice retracrable shade on top of it. It will block off the neighbor there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pottery+barn+pergola&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS775US775&hl=en-US&prmd=simvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFnaj4gfjbAhVJiFQKHV9XASoQ_AUIEigC&biw=375&bih=712

1 Like

Italian cypress trees are great for privacy screen. They grow fast and are drought tolerant.

1 Like

I don’t think evergreens are much work. You just lop off the top when they get too tall. Or don’t.

Ohhhh. Maybe that’s what my kids call Pickle trees.

I already purchased Thuja Evergreen Tree as given below.

I have to be honest–I don’t think they’re the right shape. You want a cylinder, not a triangle. If you can return it, I would.