Proactive Home Maintenance Service

That’s a good question. I think there are different kinds of people out there, and you need to figure out who you’re catering to. I’m a DIYer and a partial control freak. I’m also a SAHM right now, so I’m in charge of renovations :slight_smile: Whether I do it myself, or call someone. I’m also home to deal with the people.

There are certainly double income families that would probably rather you figure it out, and don’t bother them with the details. Maybe when I’m that family, I’ll be that person.

Those are probably two very separate services. One is AirBNB–here’s a map, here’s your options, do your own research. The other is a travel agent. She sends you you itinerary and books everything for you.

But you should definitely send an email with name and photo of the people showing up at you door.

My mom did all the renovations at my parents house. Her name was Jo and she had a deep voice. Tradesmen on the phone thought she was a man. She would be only woman at the hardware store or lumber yard. I think most trades people today are poorly trained and have no professional standards . We need to bring back trades schools and apprenticeship programs.

As far as Andrew Wynn. How is a first time homeowner with no trade experience qualified to run Sheltr?

Andrew, something that you haven’t really detailed yet (and no one has sent me a list), but what other things need maintenance? There’s a difference between being a home-fixit organization–which I’m sure is useful out here-vs. the question of preventative maintenance. So far the only todo’s I can think of are something that can be handled by a handyman and a gardener:

1. drain any silt from the water heater
  2. Clean leaves off of the roof
  3. Clean the gutters (our gardener used to do this)
  4. Check the smoke alarms (handyman or you can just do this yourself)

What else needs to be done? If there’s not a large list, most people who are dual-income already have a handyman and a gardener handling their needs.

Which I’d come back to suggesting that what you’re offering–to handle a large amount of diverse handywork for the owner–is best done right after a sale using the inspection as a guide.

Tough question. Terri believes him, benefits of doubt, BBB is known bad. Most handymen are old folks who have tons of experience :wink:

most people should include property managers :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t see why he has to have trade experience. CEOs are there to run a business. They have CTOs figure out the nitty gritty. :slight_smile:

Founder-CEOs do know a lot.

1 Like

A CEO needs to know everything about everything. Should be able to any job in the company better than anyone. Leadership by example. This guy is sales consultant that wants his customers to do the heavy lifting. That is why I have no respect for him and his ilk.

Hi Terri,

Again - thanks for your helpful feedback. We’ve already had one women who noted the same concern and we’d love to work with female service pros!

This is what we cover in our twice-annual home checkups:

Routine Maintenance
  • Clean or replace Furnace Filter
  • Clean Dryer Vent
  • Lubricate sticking door and window hinges/locks/tracks
  • Clean Dishwasher Filter
  • Clean Garbage Disposal
  • Check Fire Extinguishers
  • Replace Light Bulbs as needed
  • Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Replace batteries as needed and check life
  • Clean Extraction Fans in Kitchen & Bathrooms
  • Clean Drains
  • Tighten any loose cabinetry
  • Tighten any loose plumbing fixtures
Home Assessment
  • Create an itemized inventory of your home appliances, document safety hazards or tune-ups needed, and fix minor issues on your to-do list.
  • Inspect smoke and CO2 detectors
  • Visually Inspect roofing for missing, loose, or damaged shingles and leaks
  • Inspect gutters for leaves and debris
  • Inspect exterior siding for signs of rot and deterioration
  • Inspect interior walls & windows
  • Check electrical panel for wear and tripped fuses
  • Check electrical GFCIs
  • Check all plumbing for leaks and blockages
  • Inspect toilets for loose fittings and excess running
  • Inspect all caulking and grout
  • Check for signs of pests and rodents
  • Check for signs of mold and other health hazards
  • Inspect garage door and opener if applicable

What we see is that most people handle their homes reactively. For example, 59% of homes require a major repair each year but only 31% of people expect to have one. Additionally, 34% of home insurance claims are driven by preventable factors (eg. water damage caused by a leaky roof or dryer vent fire). We want to help prevent these types of issues and make them more manageable if they do occur.

People as the OP says react, they don’t plan. And, they don’t allow just anybody in their homes. Specially when they are 100% being a nosey person, no matter if paid or not.

When I was an apprentice in the painting world, my first house was painted by working with this other guy, my boss. My personality, which is amicable, and open to any talk, gave my boss the advantage that after the second house, that guy working for him was so nice to feed the dog, water the plants, you name the small favor without being asked.

From there, he grew to be so busy that he needed to hire more people, and he did, all people I knew. Except that once I became a foreman, they started to be backstabbers and lazy people, specially when another ex-foreman showed up. I then found out that, in 1998, I was earning $13/hr, but the other guys were $16 :smiley::rofl::joy:

He cried that day when I found out and quit, I was the only one “paying taxes”. :wink:

My point is that once you grow, the human factor starts to be a pain in the rear end. Your reputation can grow so fast, but you can fall faster engulfed in flames. :yum:

You then need legal protection.

Interesting. Does sound like the kind of stuff the property manager did in our rental.

I think it could be valuable. I’m going to fully acknowledge that I’m the wrong person to ask because I’m an uber-frugal DIY person. But maybe when I go back to work full-time, I’ll want something like that. I’ve come to terms with the fact I’ll need a maid and a gardener. I’m trying to figure out how to fit a kitchen-renovation in with a full-time job and kids… because I’ve wanted to do a lot of it myself.

Do it in the summer so you can BBQ outside during the renovation.

2 Likes

Yeah :slight_smile: I need to buy a BBQ too :slight_smile:

I was thinking that if I got the garage cleaned out, I could stage the kitchen out there where the washer/dryer are. Got the gas dryer installed now, which leaves the 240AC plug free.