Ramen Nagi Opens First U.S. Location in Palo Alto

Just keeping it real :smile_cat:

A friend who called me grandma likes Korean everything (food/tv/music etc). Her favorite Korean food is Jajangmyeon. Yes ē‚ø醬éŗµ is real hip :roll_eyes:

I have been to Thailand 3 times. First time I had Thai and Vietnamese food was in 1986. I heard there is good Thai food in the Mission. We have My Thai in South Lake Tahoe. I used to go to Bangkok Bay in RWC. Thereā€™s good Thai in the outer Richmond on Geary.
American Thai probably like American Chinese is a poor cousin compared to the real thing. They just have better quality vegetables and seafood year round fresh in Thailand.

FIFY

I found that the best Italian restaurants in this area are in the Little Italy area of SF. The food is very flavorful. Love the diced red peppers pickled with garlic and oil. Couldnā€™t find any such good restaurants close to south bay. What are your favorite Italian restaurants here?

For true Italians there arenā€™t any. I can make better Italian than any restaurant.

I used to go to Vino Santo . Italian cooked by Mexicans. Not bad. Plus full bar.

Vesta has unique pizza. Carpaccio in MP, Osteria in PA are good too

I enjoy Bucca di Beppo. Translation Joes hole in the wall. Classic take on old Jersey style joints. More for atmosphere than the food. Classic old school Frank Sinatra style 50s American Italian

1 Like

Shana thai is good. Not sure if authentic, though.

I prefer Zero Zero over Vesta for pizza.

My favorite pizza in SC and RWC is Speederia. The owner Victor is Russian. The pizza is authentic N.Y.C. Style.
I just order the cheese pizza to go. In Emerald Hills and downtown San Carlos. Super thin crust.
ZeroZero looks good. I grew up with LA Valā€™s N.Y. style pizza in Berkeley. Been in business since 1951. Blue Dog is ok in Tahoe.

Best pizza is in Naples. They use grape size tomatoes that are left to dry out and sweeten up plus Buffalo mozzarella. Like all food it is about the ingredients. I make my own tomato sauce with my own partially sun dried tomatoes.
I started making chicken parm again.
I cook it like a pizza. With chicken as the crust. With the mozzarella on top melted perfectly.

1 Like

Although it is soul food for all Koreans, we Koreans firmly believe it is Chinese food. :smile:
The dish was invented by Chinese community who immigrated to Korea a few dacades ago.
Unfortunatel, we havenā€™t find good Jajangmyeon in Bay Area.

Traditional American food.

Yes jajangmyeon was originated in the Shandong province. My friend likes this ā€œKoreanā€ dish but dislikes Chinese foodā€¦time for her to embrace the inner demon :unamused:

1 Like

Itā€™s not (authentic)

I havenā€™t found authentic cuisine anywhere. Italian Thai Mexican, Chinese. Americanized can be good but it will be different. Impossible to get the same ingredients.
Besides Americans donā€™t know or even like a lot of foreign cuisine. Restaurants have to make money not authenticity.

My Thai coworker said if the pad thai is orange colored then itā€™s not authentic.

Name names. Give me a few good ones.

In the Sunset (of course), have you tried Marni Thai or Sriracha Thai? Marni has seen better days but still fairly popular with the masses as it is usually pretty crowded. I recently went to Sriracha Thai on 9th and Irving and it was actually pretty good.

Oh goodness. Youā€™re making me hungry.

Karakade Thaiā€“Woodside in RWC?

Never been. My restaurant knowledge of RWC is 5 years old. There was another one by Bangkok Bay that was ok on Broadway. Actually my favorite RWC restaurant is City Pub . Used to eat their for lunch twice a week. The Vietnamese restaurant nearby is good.

1 Like

Karakadeā€™s been here since we moved in 2009. Woodside and Central/Hudson. Pretty sure the lady is 1st gen, but of course she may have adapted the food for american tastes.