Redfin Cutting Out Buyer Agents

This is huge:

Back to the Future: The Buy-It Button Comes to Redfin.com

A Total Commission of 2%

Our goal all along was to get more offers for the customers who hired us to sell their homes, and more money in their pockets. We’ve long charged home-sellers in Boston 1% for our own service, and our sellers usually offer an additional 2% to 2.5% for the buyer’s agent. But now, with an offer from an unrepresented buyer, sellers pay an additional 1% to Redfin in lieu of the buyers’ agent fee, for a total commission of 2%.

2 Likes

Is this similar to Deleon realty’s scheme?

How much do they charge?

Redfin’s thing is kinda automated in the sense that buyers structured their offers on the site by themselves. I think with Deleon they assign you one of their agents.

Everyone wants to cut out the buyers agent. Stanley Lo was the king… being doing it for 30 years. Creates liability issues.

About time.

There are a few small players in each major market that have been doing it, but Redfin takes it to a 100x scale. I really hope this works since it’s about time the out-dated commission structure is disrupted and I like how Redfin opened up RE data so I want them to succeed. Redfin still is my go-to website for browsing RE.

2 Likes

DeLeon is 3%. This is 33% less. On a $2M house, we are talking about $20k more in your pocket as seller.

https://deleonrealty.com/3-commission/