Rent control laws and restrictions for a condo in SF

It’s my understanding that condos in SF are not under rent control. Is that correct? Also, can the condo association rules prevent me from renting it for whatever reason?

@manch

Thanks.

Yes and yes. Condo is not under rent control in SF, but the HOA rules can prevent you from renting it out. Moreover, they can also change their rules in the future.

1 Like

Thanks @manch. Are the HOA rules publicly available for me to verify, or are they something I need to request from the seller at the time of purchase?

Should be part of standard disclosure from the listing agent. If not there, ask for it. There are some condo hoas in the South Bay that only allow a limited number of units to be rented at a time or to require hoa approval / notification before renting

1 Like

Thanks @BA_lurker

Everywhere in the state is under rent control. No evictions allowed with a moving target for the end and max of 5% plus inflation rise in prices per year. The moral hazard is there and landlords gave up without a peep. Communist control without a shot fired. All from a phony pandemic. And government caused recession. No bailouts for landlords. Just for major corporations. And minimum wage employees who would rather stay home and buy dope that pay rent.

1 Like

Both @manch and @Elt1 are right. SF Condos and Houses are not subject to municipal rent control which caps rent increases at 60% of CPI. However, They (and everything else in the entire state) is subject to statewide rent control which caps rent increases to 5% + CPI, or 10%, whichever is smaller.

1 Like

I just talked to two tenants about raising rent. They had no problem with it.

1 Like