Renting advice on renting to military person

Hi,

Thanks to this group for providing valuable advice on rental properties.

I am in the process of renting my place. A person who works for a military of another country has expressed interest and he wants me to add an emergency clause to the rental agreement. The emergency clause would allow the tenant to vacate the house if he/she is called for military service or his/her contry asks to come back to their home country (Exremely very rare… but can happen if US suddenly becomes hostile to the other country).

This is one of the promising tenants. I am just checking to see how others have handled this requirement.

Thanks
…mottai

You can make the lease month to month for this tenant and tell them you won’t increase the rent within a year.

Well, if you have other promising applicants with GOOD credentials (steady, income records, positive prior and current landlord references, etc, ) I would just go with one of them. I just don’t like non standard type of agreements even if unlikely to happen. Time is money, so I prefer less turnover as much as possible or reasonably anticipated for.

1 Like

I recommend accommodating the tenant’s request for an emergency clause in the rental agreement. You can also consult with a real estate attorney to ensure legal compliance and to clearly define the conditions for invoking the clause.

Thanks a lot for all your (@druid / @sfdragonboy / @donwede123 ) responses. My apologies for not acknowledging your responses. The tenant decided NOT to rent with us at this time.

1 Like

You’re welcome @mottai .