Rise in RV homeless throughout South Bay

RV based housing is a good thing - it is better than homeless folks on the streets. I have seen in Mountain View that they have converted some empty parking lots in RV parks. This is much safer for the RV dwellers that parking on a street with high speed vehicular traffic. More parking lots should be set aside for RV dwellers, maybe with a small fee, and cities should be welcoming these people as residents.

Crime will rise soon.
Streets will have trash.
Can I take buy an RV and park in Atherton? or in front of Gavin Newsom’s or Nancy Pelosi’s house?

Fremont is working on something called “safe parking program”. There is no regulation who carries liabilities for thefts, vandalism or trash. The RV owners have no responsibility to have a license and no requirement that they cannot smoke marijuana or if they carry insurance in the RV’s or safe parking areas. Soon, we’ll have many people roaming and talking to themselves on the streets.

That’s why I suggest regulating the RV houses population by designating empty parking lots or RV parks, and charging a small fee/tax in exchange for some oversight and services.
All our cities have mobile home parks or trailer parks, and they provide an essential part of the housing base. Similarly RV based housing, if well regulated, can be a good part of the housing base.

We cannot have drugs and crimes which come with homeless in our communities. We can support people who have become homeless by a bad hand of life they have been dealt with and making efforts to get out of the situation. However we cannot have permanent homeless in our communities for whom it is a choice of lifestyle. Large section of the homeless people are like that. In fact, people throughout the country are congregating in CA for homeless benefits.

Lot of these homeless people have mental and drug issues. How do the homeless with drug problems fund their drug habits?Crime, because they can’t hold down a job.

1 Like

Mountain View’s SFHs routinely sell for $2.5M +, and apartments there rent out for $4-5k per month. You cannot serve everyone’s needs with traditional housing options which are that expensive. RVs are a cheaper form of housing for lower income/wealth people that should be welcomed and regulated, IMO

RVs need water power and sewer lines. Who will provide that? The homeless problem is primarily a drug problem. Solve that problem and the rest will easy. Need relocation incarceration and mental healthcare for the rest. The drug recent arrests in Tahoe caught a drug dealer in the homeless shelter. They can’t turn away felons. Unfortunately the worst of the worst end up homeless.

1 Like

Even 3rd world countries don’t have these kinds of solutions.

Trailer parks are as American as apple pie. They are the solution for low income housing. Conventional housing will never be affordable thanks to overzealous bureaucracy and nimbyies.

There is an “easy” solution to homelessness: force cities to build homeless shelters. No ifs no buts. Right now NIMBY’s are free to oppose building shelters in their hoods and kick the cans to the next town. Take away the option of local opposition and force people in tents and RV to move into shelters.

NYC actually has a lot of homeless people but they live in shelters not in tents or RV’s. We could do the same if not for the damned NIMBY’s.

1 Like

it goes deeper than that. NY is a “right to housing” state, which basically means they are allowed to “force” people into being housed, where CA is more libertarian in that respect, the laws says you can’t “force” people into housing, even if it is for their own good (i.e. mental illness, drug use, etc). so basically the law is a big reason we have so much homelessness, and why homeless people are also attracted to the state (including weather)

i thought this was interesting Re; Paris:

3 Likes

That only works if you legally force people to live in the shelters. Seattle does sweeps and cleans up encampments. Every time they offer shelter beds to people. Over 90% reject it. Shelters have pesky rules like no drugs and no sex. The homeless refuse to live by those rules, so they stay on the streets.

I bet at least 80% of Redmond residents would vote for a shelter for the homeless. They just don’t want it in their neighborhood. It is hilarious how hypocritical they are.

2 Likes

Nobody wants to live near the homeless including the homeless. In Tahoe the Homeless coalition representative told me they can’t turn down anyone, including felons. In fact a resident drug dealer was just arrested and will probably be returning. Homeless by definition are lawless. They don’t want to follow rules and want to live wherever they want. We need the NYC rules that require them to stay in approved furnished housing. They need to be forced into rehab, mental facilities, prison or subsidized housing if they are sober, sane, non criminal indigents.

2 Likes

You really dislike the homeless. Give them a break, live and let live.

The naive ones are clueless on how the world works. The smart ones “preach” the right thing while stuffing their bank accounts and buying properties all over the US or World.

e.g. of smart one - Barack Obama and Michele Obama, went from having Student loans(when running for President) + tiny house in South side of Chicago(yeah right :roll_eyes: :laughing: ) to multiple houses and one in Martha’s Vineyard in 8 years, sending kids to private schools costing $40000/year(Harvard costs are extra) and having celebrities for his 60 year birthday celebration during a pandemic, who were chauffeured in on the Island in boats and taxis, and the photos of the event were deleted later :wink:

Obamas and the Newsoms and the Pelosis should have RV parking in their backyard and relieve everybody’s pain.

1 Like

Offer them a spare room. Their families don’t want them. Employers don’t want them. Worst they won’t even live with each other in shelters. Figure a solution for that …. Homestead empty houses in Cleveland? BTW … I don’t hate the homeless. I just hate the stupid idea that affordable housing will solve the problem.

The Los Angeles Times reported last year that it cost $531,000 on average to build a single unit of housing for a homeless person. The cost for one homeless housing project soared to $746,000 per unit after a neighboring shopping complex sued. The developer settled by agreeing to add various design features and an underground parking lot, but the litigation took four years. Now LA is setting up 8-by-8-foot sheds—the type you can buy for a couple of thousand dollars—for the homeless at a cost of $130,000 apiece.

2 Likes