Indices & ETFs

Also, @hanera held Aapl for 20+ years. That should deserve the most praise.

1 Like

I was forcing manch to praise me :rofl: Apparently he refused :smiling_imp:

That pretty much sums it up for Harriet.

You scored too many negative points on this forum for him to praise.

1 Like

I don’t think manch knows the answer to my question. You mentioned it many times, although I am looking for a different phrasing of the same concept.

You guys are all attention whores looking for mommy and daddy’s praise :unamused:

3 Likes

No I don’t. What’s the question again? :smile:

Hard (not impossible :slight_smile: )

Hint: wuqijun mentioned many times.

Um… well at least we have something that’s worth praising about… :rofl:

1 Like

Not sure if I ever want to praise a man who eats soft rice. Nah.

1 Like

That’s sexist… :rofl:

She is jealous :scream:

Is she jealous of your wife? Or jealous of your aapl?

1 Like

There are a host of reasons why active trading hurts performance, but @harriet is not active trading. She may not be extreme like you or @wuqijun but it’s not like she buys and sells every day or even every week.

Also we are talking about averages that have wide variances. Most people are better off finishing their college degrees, but for Gates and Zuck obviously not. WB tells everyone to buy S&P but he himself never bought any. We know on average active investors cannot beat S&P. That’s just math as WB beautifully proves mathematically. But averages mask a lot of variation. When applies to someone in particular how can you tell he or she cannot?

Both :triumph:

Now imagine a world without aapl

Only 1 reason is required :slight_smile:

Today is your day grandpa. Why don’t you just tell us?

That’s ageist! :rofl:

1 Like

wuqijun’s response to harriet gave the answer. Traders don’t commit 100%.

Most traders don’t commit 100% capital and love to tell you the return of committed capital.
For example, say you have $100,000 to invest. Buy n hold would be 100% in, say into S&P, so annualized return is 11% (not talking about recent which I think is 20%+). Whereas traders are likely to commit 20% i.e. $20k at one time, and they would tell you the annualized return upon that $20k instead of over $100k, because those are cash which are not committed.

11% on $100k is $11k which is equivalent to 55% for the trader. 30% return is only $6k :slight_smile: So for the trader to beat the buy n hold guy, need 55% :slight_smile:

2 Likes