Sacramento, In Da House!

Mega region from Sac to Bay is still some ways off. There is nothing but farms from Davis all the way to maybe Fairfield?

Further down south Tracy is practically already part of Bay Area and Manteca seems to be getting there. Maybe in 10 years Stockton will be part of Bay Area as well.

Dixon is there and is one the choke points on 80. The traffic is solid from Placerville to Santa Cruz. Dixon has 20k people. Vacaville 100k

There is a planned city north of 80 near Dixon.
It will solid city between Fairfield and Sac in 19 years.

Well, prices have come down a tad and I am not seeing all homes at 1M+ up there…

Would be super cool if Sac and Stockton linked up with the Bay to form a super-mega-region. LA is sorta like that. A vast land mass stretching out as far as the eye can see.

:muscle:

It’s still affordable… that’s why Bay Area retirees are moving there…

Yeah, I know, but as you know from history the Sac housing market seemed to always take a dump when economy cooled. Now, maybe with more people working remotely that won’t happen to the degree as before. I told my nephew to go up that way if he wants cheaper housing but it is hot up there. I also suggested Dublin or Fremont as good starter areas. He can buy my Fremont starter…

Your read on the Sacramento market has been wrong for 25 years. Bay Area has always overshadowed Sacramento. But the old opinions of the Sacramento market from the last century are outdated. It’s now 2.5million people. 3 million if you include the Reno MSA …

It’s still an incredible bargain. My farm would cost 5 times more if it was in Napa or Sonoma. I grow award wines , and am 2 hours to SF 1 hour to Tahoe. With Calistoga weather. And amazing granite sand soils. Perfect for grapes.

It’s an incredible bargain because NO ONE LIKES SACRAMENTO!!! Hello??? It is blazing hot and it is suburban sprawl. God, San Jose has more character than Sacramento…

1 Like

I will take Sacramento over Phoenix or Austin anytime. At least it’s not too far from the Bay or Tahoe.

1 Like

That is 20th century BA snobbery. Advocated by Herb Caen who grew up there before AC. The eastern suburbs of Sacramento are now highly desirable and very upscale. Folsom in particular is clean new convenient and way more livable than the BA. But I will keep my little town secret… no more BA people please…

Sour grape. Ofc, you’re entitled to your opinion.

Come on, you have to admit that if Sac Town were all that, the homes would have been high for a long time now. Have they gone up and stayed up? Nope…

The migration of Bay Area people to Sacramento is just an extension of the migration of people leaving SF for the suburbs… just like you did.
Nothing new. Was accelerated during Covid. Now with WFH it will continue. If you want to buy a house then the exburbs are the affordable alternative. Basic Econ 101. It also is attracting a lot of retirees that can sell their BA home buy something for one third the price and live off the balance… cashing out. Otherwise your home equity just goes to your heirs. Plus you can still visit relatives and friends that continue to stay and are only 1-2 hours away.
Anyway I love the Sacramento MSA which includes Tahoe btw
My farm is 20 minutes east of Folsom. 10 degrees cooler at 1200’ elevation. No snow, no winter fog and cooling breezes at night perfect weather for me.

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/increased-migration-bay-area-to-sacramento-18262928.php#

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/search/best-neighborhoods/m/sacramento-metro-area/

The Sacramento MSA is becoming what the Bay Area used to be. When people actually used to talk to their neighbors

“We moved from the Bay Area and we were so surprised by how incredibly nice everybody is here! Strangers greet you and talk to you like old friends. At first we were weirded out bc we’re definitely not used to that - but now I can’t imagine a better environment to raise my kids in.

Neighbors are down to earth. They’re the ones that will invite you over for a backyard beer and proactively introduce their kids to yours so that you feel at home. We were so worried about the kids making friends in a new town but it feels like the kids here are raised to welcome new kids - and we are loving it. No regrets whatsoever. We’re home!”

I am slowly learning more about Folsom. To me the the best part is the Lake. Beautiful homes in Eldorado Hills. Many with lake views.
The launch ramp is only 15 minutes from my farm. Great bike trails all around the lake. Then of course there is Granite Bay on the north side of the lake.
Plenty of $2m plus mansions for BA people to dump their money into.
My new neighbor in Tahoe just spent $4m. Bought it from a Redwood City contractor who bought it 4 years ago for $2m and totally renovated it.

“Folsom is such a beautiful, green, clean, and welcoming city. I have gotten to explore the history behind the city’s startup and have gotten to explore the unique small businesses throughout the geography of the city as well throughout my short time here so far! From the unique mixes of cultures on Sutter street and the live entertainment and delicious foods to the lush hiking trails throughout the town, and the beautiful views of the big Folsom lake, Folsom offers such amazing features that any individual will be delighted by and I highly recommend taking a tour of the city at least once in your lifetime
perfect Folsom house :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/space-age-california-home-hits-the-market-18207268.php

1 Like

Sac is great as long as you can remote work 100% of the time. If not, that is a painful commute every day or every other day that will wear you down.

The lack of local good paying jobs (other than the govt) has always contributed to why Sac never boomed. Come on, who wouldn’t want a SFH for around 400-500K, right?

Government is about 25% of Sacramento employees.

Pretty diversified economy. Creates its own economic engine

Over 1,000,000 employees

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.ca_sacramento_msa.htm

There are plenty of undesirable areas in Sacramento… just like in the BA. Places like South Sacramento for example.
But the Folsom area is highly desirable. Plus Roseville Granite Bay, Rocklin, Fair Oaks, Eldorado Hills plus most areas to the east.

https://economicdevelopment.folsom.ca.us/

The Atherton of Sacramento
The Fabulous Forties. Plenty of $2m homes.
Fabulous Forties Homes For Sale | Sacramento Real Estate.

Ok, literally just spoke to a co-worker who happens to be from Sac. Is in the South Bay now. We were chatting about retirement and such. I asked her point blank why she isn’t considering Sac but other spots apparently despite family back there. The weather. She said she was so spoiled with the milder weather down here that Sac does not appeal to her at all. Common triple digit summer days will do that to you…

Not common at my farm at 1200’… 4 days over 100 this summer. Maybe a couple of days in the next two weeks. I love hot weather. Pool time and great warm evenings.

Sacramento is a little warmer

Even Sacramento only averages 23 days over 100 per year

Sacramento CA Average Temperatures by Month - Current Results.

I live in Oakley and has similar climate as Sacramento. It’s not bad like phoenix or TX.

1 Like