Schools

He’s out of state too. Why should the UCs admit an out-of-state student with lower SATs when CA residents are getting the boot? If anything, the UCs should allow lower CA scores, but expect higher from the rest of the US.

3 Likes

I seem to recall reading somewhere in the last few years that UC was found to be taking in too many OOS students (higher revenue generators since higher tuition than in state) so it essentially had to reverse course some.

1 Like

All because of some “activists” pushing their agenda while the silent majority busy with their life

Too low for UCs unfortunately. GPA are BS because many high schools inflates their students’ GPA. His 4.2 may be equivalent to 2.8 in MVHS i.e. right at the bottom.

IMHO, depends on proposed Major. For EE/ CE/ CS, at least 2000 for SAT, at least 760 for Math.

All UCs are pressurized to increase their yearly intake, increase the % of minority/ female intake, increase the % intake from transfer from State Colleges, … UCs are scrambling to build accommodation and force professors to take on increasingly big class size.

IMHO, more than 50% of the intake shouldn’t even be admitted. So forcing UCs to admit even more means making the campus even more overcrowded, dilute the quality of education (professors have less time per student) and lower the standard of UC degree. Frankly, if I’m a chancellor without political pressure, would have kicked out 75% of those admitted.

2 Likes

Isn’t your son attending UC Davis? Or you are saying he’s the other 25%?

1 Like

I don’t have any impression he’s complaining and thinks he should have special treatment. It’s all coming from gun people basically saying “haha” like you did.

then why his rejection by UC became a news? It seems that he should know that his chance is close to zero from his SAT score alone.

1 Like

He wrote the news about his rejections?

For EE/CE/CS in UCs, failure rate is too low too. Only bottom 20% can’t make it each year.
The smallish university where I obtained my degree, only 5% of the original intake eventually got a degree :slight_smile: BEng(EE) :slight_smile: 75% of the intake can’t make it to the 2nd year :crazy_face: In my final year, some classes have 1-3 students :slight_smile:

I actually think Hogg deserves to go into any UC he likes. He shows great leadership skill by being one of the leaders and architects of the biggest anti gun movement in recent history. People should suspend their political views for a minute and just look at it from an organization and leadership POV.

But that experience came too late, before he wrote the application essays. I bet many UC schools are sending him offers after the rejection news broke.

You want to encourage people to be demonstrators? You are sending a message to the public that if you make big news, you are considered good enough.

That’s ridiculous. If a school is admitting students it knows can’t graduate, it’s doing a pathetic job in admissions. Stealing tuition money.

1 Like

I mis-spoke, didn’t get a BEng(EE). Can get other degrees :slight_smile: like Physics or Maths :slight_smile:
Tuition money? Then there is no such thing as tuition :slight_smile: In any case, better to get rid of them after the first year then let them hang around for 3 more years.

Sure, but they shouldn’t have been admitted in the first place. Someone’s doing a horrible job attracting the right students. It’s not a badge of pride for a college to have a 5% graduation rate. That’s a college to avoid. And they’re not going to do well in the long run–most colleges get donations from their successful alumni, not the dropouts.

I want to encourage leadership and organization skill. BTW what’s so bad about peaceful demonstrations?

UC has too many students that just study books and became some faceless coders in some faceless companies. I’d rather it produces more leaders like CEO’s and presidents.

Agree.

Oxymoron? How can demonstrations which is a disruption to the normal flow of life be peaceful?

1 Like

Peaceful just means nobody gets hurt. It doesn’t mean you won’t be late for your meetings at work.

2 Likes

Only EE, was considered the most prestigious degree to get then. Those “dropouts" can easily get other degrees just not EE, they are pretty smart.

got it.

Hogg reminds me of Jane Kim. Activists are bad apples in many cases, you just need to look closely enough.

Never elect an activist to any important position. Activists are often times dangerous destroyers, just look at Hitler, Chris Daly, Jane Kim, communist leaders Stalin.

I hope Hogg will not go too far on activism and enjoy a normal and good career.

Most of the population can be manipulated by the activists. Activists are expert on manipulating human weakness. History has shown that the worst manmade disasters are mostly caused by activists.

1 Like