Schools

Below is a chart showing the score for a foundational course for EE/ CE/ CS majors. The minimum pass grade is 70%. Mean = 20.4/40 = 41% i.e. those who score lower than mean, fail the foundational course. The chart didn’t show the median score, my guess is below 70%. How did these guys got admitted?

1 Like

It starts with removing police from school incidents. Kids get used to getting away with things or minimal punishment. From there, they escalate. FL shooter is a prime example of “tolerance”. He should have been in jail, but the school didn’t involve police.

Were police in schools before. I thought kids nowadays were out of control enough that we were starting to put police in schools, not that they’d been removed.

Schools used to refer kids to the police for serious offense (eg. bringing a knife to school). Now schools handle it themselves and kids don’t get a criminal record. It was an Obama policy, because people felt involving police was discriminatory to minorities since a higher percent of minority kids were getting a police record. Even Huff Po has written about it:

FL shooter was expelled for bringing a knife. The police weren’t called, so his record stayed clean.

1 Like
1 Like

8:30 is nothing to write home about.

9:30 am?

I think i’ve seen schools that started at 7am. That’s just waaaaay too early, but that was the only way to share the school busses with other schools.

If I were still a K-12 student I’d be thrilled to start at 9:30.

1 Like

If I have to wake up early, you have to wake up early!!!

Starting school before 8am is probably perfect for working parents. Just enough time to drop them off before heading to work.

Not necessarily… we still have to get the kids up and out the door. I’m all for 8:30am. The more they wake up on their own, the less time I waste.

also, if school starts earlier, it ends earlier. you’re screwed one direction or another if schools isn’t 8-5pm.

If you are a working parent you’d have to get someone to pick up the kid after school regardless. If I have kids right now I’d prefer them to start before 8am so I can drop them off at school. Starting at 8:30 or later would be too late.

why? i thought all techie millennials go to work at 10am+

4 Likes

I don’t even get up before noon. :sleeping:

1 Like

My husband said he was always one of the first people at work after dropping kids at 8am. Even with 8:30, he probably still would be. But depends how far away work is.

My team rolls in by 10am but I am usually in the office around 9:15ish. I’m not a morning person either but I don’t want to stay too late. It interferes with my dinner and workout routine.

1 Like

Good hint.

2 Likes