Schools

Speaking of schools, here are your Bay Area Schools that received National Blue Ribbon honor:

Woah! “North Star Academy in Redwood City”. Way to go…

1 Like

I think the breakdown is relatively simple:

Full-time MBA: people who want a career change
Part-time MBA: people who want to advance in their current career

It’s crazy to quit your job for 2 years if your goal is advancement in your current path. You might as well stay working which will also help towards advancement. If you want to do something completely different, then it makes sense to go full-time and try getting an internship in a different industry.

If you want to start a business, forget about MBA. MBAs don’t know how to start a business. They work for businesses.

1 Like

Hmm, I wonder if we would have stories like this if all of the good teachers moved away because they couldn’t afford to live here anymore???

1 Like

Yes, there would be because of the parents. They’ll pay for private tutoring and do what it takes for their kids. 90% of brain development is by age 3, so schools are only part of it.

2 Likes

I know a few familys where parents took kids out of North Star. I know - you can not be good for everyone, but before you apply there and take a test -make sure it fits your kids or kids fit school

1 Like

But you really shouldn’t have to do that if the “system” worked fine. Public schools should be more than adequate to prepare our leaders of tomorrow. Who wants to pay for something that their taxes pay for already?

Schools are designed around educating the middle of the bell curve. If you’re child is at the ends of the curve, then they will probably need things that public school can’t provide. At a minimum, you need a public school that offers differentiated curriculum.

1 Like

It’s fine for a public school. It doesn’t compare to a $45K school, but I don’t have $45K to shell out for each of my kids. Also not so great for kids who don’t work well in groups.

I think the question was “what if taxes can’t pay for great teachers any more?” The point is that the parents will find another way.

I know people who look at public schools as saving $20K, and feel like they can now stick that into tutoring and music lessons.

@Terri and @tomato news on your alma mater:

2 Likes

somebody on hackernews joked about “College of Statistics and Nonlinear Function Approximation”

Super interesting… I guess Redwood City public schools are in for a change.

Here are some of the possibilities:

The projections are very interesting to me. Those can be found here:

I’d heard that only 1/3 of the kids in the RWC boundaries attend public schools. It seems to me that in the school district focussed on providing more of the high demand, high quality programs, they could attract back a lot of those students.

Very interesting. I like the idea of expanding Northstar and other high demand programs (Adelante?) to bring more children back into the system. It’s a chicken and the egg problem – bring more families back and the public schools will improve.

1 Like

so good news?

1 Like

Surprising to me, actually. Yes, the public schools may not have been Reason #1 as to why people were moving there but I would have thought with all of the companies moving in too that the last thing would be closures of schools. I mean, look at Fremont. The folks moving in to even the ok neighborhoods are helping to raise the schools rankings. Why would it be any different with RWC? The folks that can move in there are going to be professionals or fairly well to do. Are they simply bypassing the public schools for private?

1 Like

In a word…yes.

1 Like

Ok, but not everyone is affluent enough to do that, right? Don’t you also have middle class folks moving into the flatlands of RWC too who are just as motivated to get involved in their childrens’ education but may lack the funds for private schooling? Hard for me to believe that what happened or is happening in my average Fremont neighborhood can’t be replicated in RWC.

So, the reduction in # of kids may be the difference between a large Hispanic family and a 1-2 kid Asian/White family.

As for the schools, in the flatlands many of the schools are not good enough yet to attract those who can afford a private (especially parochial) school. But I really believe that in 10 years, they will be. The most interesting thing is the Mandarin Immersion map. People from Half Moon Bay and Daly City choosing John Gill really says something about the demand for Mandarin Immersion! And from what I’ve heard Menlo Park fought tooth and nail against a Mandarin Immersion program making RWC a trailblazer.

I think that RWC residents aren’t ready for the shakeup in the schools, but if the district does the changes right, they could in fact see an increase in enrollment by offering high demand programs. The problem is that many residents resent some of these programs, especially North Star. What’s good for the district is hated by the parents who aren’t in the school. Sad but true.