Schools

1 Like
1 Like

Eventually this kind of thing will lead to vouchers passing… In fact, if anyone is interested, there’s an attempt to put it on the ballot - you can print it out and send in your signature:

Certain schools and districts have been failing kids for generations… might as well just blow up the system at this rate and try something else…

1 Like

yeah - feeling the same way, so I’m going to sign. Some public school districts have become quite complacent and others - specifically SF’s, but possibly LA as well - are actively trying to screw kids over.

I do think there are districts that make an effort, and I’ve been pretty happy with RCSD, but I could see a number of Latino parents trying to put their kids into Catholic schools if they could afford them. Seems like many people are happy with MP and PA. I imagine this might not affect those cities much.

School choice is starting to seem inevitable now. That would be a huge win for parents.

1 Like

From the School choice faq (I love the honesty of the second part)

No. The Educational Freedom Act merely introduces competition into K-12 education just as it exists in higher education, medicine, professional schools, technology and retail. As Americans, we understand that competition makes everyone and everything better. If the number and quality of public schools decline it will only be because they failed to compete, failed to meet the needs of their customers and failed to improve the quality of their product. The most likely effect of the introduction of real school choice will be a radical improvement in the performance of existing public schools.

Recent financial impact studies shows that after 7% of the students exit from public schools there is likely to be more funding per-student available.

Because California public schools are, on average, the worst in the country, families will flee these failing schools in large numbers. Reduced student populations will undoubtedly lead to reductions in teaching and support staff. These job losses in the public sector will also undoubtedly be offset by job opportunities in the private sector. Unquestionably, under-performing teachers will have a tough time securing employment in the private productive educational sector. This is a good thing. One of the many reasons that public schools are failing is because of their medieval civil service and tenure system.

The demand for quality teachers will increase due to the increase of demand. Expect teacher incomes to increase. We have seen this in states that have instituted school choice.

2 Likes
1 Like

Interesting… Considering other school districts [in other states] can do test in…

I have no idea but that case is in Virginia though. Are there no other test for admissions public high schools in California?

But CA of course would do something like this. And I would not be shocked at all.

1 Like

Yes - Virginia. Just thought it was an odd juxtaposition to have - that you can’t test in CA, but you can’t not test in another state… North Star in RWC also tests.

1 Like

“Because it’s not hard enough to get into college as it is.”

High school Senior’s mom here…

Isn’t this the time kid hears back from colleges? What schools are in the top running?

Yeah. Right now Waterloo or Georgia Tech are his top options (he’s applying to Computer Science) - his other top choices have said no unless MIT comes through, but an MIT deferral from Early Admission is pretty much a no.

1 Like

I am curious. What are the annual costs at Waterloo? Is it roughly the same as US ivies?

This is Canadian $$, plus you make money from the Coop and only pay about $800 that semester, so they say you can generally graduate without much debt. PS: The CS he applied to is under Faculty of Math

1 Like

Oh hrm. CS is called out later at $63000CAD = $50000USD