Schools

Even with money made from co-ops or internships, this seems to be expensive. Sorry, I am not sure I understand how you can graduate without debt. Also this seems to be just the tuition and not include the cost of boarding?

1 Like

$50K USD is normal for private schools in the US, but that’s international student costs.

Doesn’t include boarding.

I’m assuming that parents chip it a bit, and you work in tech in SF for 3 months at $50/hr?

I think they’re phrase is “many students are able to graduate with little or no debt”, but you’re right - that’s probably Canadian students, not international ones.

Canadian students:

@druid, I appreciate you asking this - I definitely hadn’t considered that they were speaking to a Canadian student audience and how different the cost was. We’ve been prepared for the likelihood of paying for a private school, so it’s not going to change our situation, but I need to be aware that Waterloo isn’t saving us money.

1 Like

fwiw, I have high regard for waterloo grads. I’ve worked with several and they were almost all driven/smart and I think part of it is because their co-op program is 5 years and gives them time to literally start delivering like a mid-level software engineer by the time they are doing it the 4th or 5th time.
One c-op student I knew not only interned in my team in the summer but also went back to school and worked for us part-time through their last year.

2 Likes

Indeed - my husband says the same thing, and one of the Waterloo grads I met made Principal Engineer at Amazon in… I want to say…6 years?

1 Like

A different take on the UCB admissions issue:

1 Like
3 Likes

Some Ivy League Colleges to Play Down How Selective They Are

Penn, Princeton and Cornell won’t tout low acceptance rates as applicants are notified Thursday; Harvard admitted 3.4% last year

I’ve been looking at the Common Data sets for a bunch of the top-tier schools. Despite getting more applications from men than women, they are admitting (and then enrolling) more women than men, sometimes by up to 10%.

And before anyone theorizes that there are more qualified women than men, with an acceptance rate of 4%, it just doesn’t matter - you have more than enough men to choose from that are not just qualified but overly qualified, and these guy are being rejected, as we are seeing among our oldest’s cohort.

Statistics can be fun and interesting but more importantly is what is Your kid doing?

Apparently taking a gap year :frowning:

Unless Waterloo comes through for him.

Wow, that’s a big decision.

How do you feel about that?

He’s not pleased… He really wants to go to college.

Personally, I think he could do a bootcamp and just get a job, but he enjoys school and wants a college experience, and I can’t fault him for that.

1 Like

I’ve been looking over the common data sets to figure out which schools accept a large portion of their Early Decision applicants. The safeties like Northeastern get very few ED applicants and accept about 50% of them. And there are now two ED rounds, so as long as CS has those same ED stats, your chances of getting an admission are much higher if you commit via ED. Which at this point he’d be happy to do.

1 Like

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/education/article260315305.html

1 Like

UCLA gets a check from me every year. Thank you, Westwood!