Secular inflation is here

Looks like a decade-plus long trend.

Problem is no can afford to build. Wages up 50%, lumber up 50%. Wages for most buyers are mot up 50%. I am thinking about buying gold coins and silver bars. I heard Nevada Coin is a good place to buy. Gold is at $1800 still below ATH. Problem is the commission spread.

1 Like

US greenhouse gas emission peaked over a decade ago. They might want to start looking for a new root cause.

1 Like

Plenty of builders are still building new homes. Certainly not “nobody”. If not Lennar etc will all go out of business. They seem to be doing fine.

They are 5million homes behind. Name one new housing development in the BA? peninsula? South Bay?

1 Like

You sure the dearth of new homes in the Bay is due to lumber prices? I suspect it’s more like the NIMBYs suing them and keep heaping fees on them that drive them away?

Anyway, even in this difficult environment builders are still building. I posted not too long ago:

I couldn’t even get the primer paint I needed today, shortage…… I can’t imagine how difficult it is to get all the materials needed to build a house. Here are new homes. I wonder if any are actually available. Waiting list?

In Oakley, numerous new build communities are in progress. Max delay is 1 month in my community (planned to build 154 homes)

Could you be overstating? 5 million homes translate to 20 million people. It is half of California’s population. Do we have half of California’s population homeless?

Nation wide

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/seattle-area-carpenters-on-strike-slowing-construction-projects-across-the-region/

Try CNI out of California. Goldealer.com Silver looks like the better value right now (doesn’t need to be the US stuff) but it’s a pain to store.

Doesn’t help anyone if it’s a primary residence. Sell and you still need a place to live - and everything else is also up 50%. Even with second homes only helpful if you need to sell and have plans for the proceeds which don’t involve more real estate. Otherwise you get nothing but property tax increases.

Contrary to what Jerome, Cathie and @manch views, treasury yield is shooting UP. So much for transitory inflation.

Is 10 yr treasury gong up good for tech stocks?

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/powell-says-spike-in-inflation-lasting-longer-than-expected/

Initially, Powell said inflation is transitory.
Now, Powell said inflation lasted longer than expected.
Future, Powell is likely to say inflation is here.

It is clear Powell does not know or care to stop inflation. He is all about getting people to buy risky assets. This could all end very badly.

Just 16 hours ago I asked this question. what does rising Ten years treasury means for tech stocks. will the tech loose more than non-tech?