Secular inflation is here

But, landlords and renters can choose to not use services of Zillow. Did not San Jose Mercury charge for classifieds before the internet advertising became popular?

Nowadays, we are used to free :slight_smile: services.

Employers are raising wages. They are offering signing bonuses and flexible schedules," he explained.

Good, hopefully those of us who are not job hopping will also get good raises in 2022.

The verizon wireless store near is offering a $2k hiring bonus to attract people.

Is not American culture to reward those who stay silent. Only creaky wheels and job hoppers get the honeypot.

1 Like

Some job hoppers are seen in poor light. Someone who cannot keep the job or not liked at work.

That just sounds like jealously of people who can go get a job with higher pay.

1 Like

I know a person who started as floor manager and is now a VP 15 years later. No job hopping, steady career growth, and minted tons of money. Seen lot of people with years in same company and climbing up steadily.

Saw this paragraph in a newsletter. Globalization is bound to roll back, at least a little bit. Conventional wisdom has it that inflation will be higher as a result but then companies are also incentivized to boost up their productivity. Not sure which way it will end up. Anyway I think American workers will benefit.

COVID’s Supply Chain Snarls
Discount retailer Dollar Tree imports 90,000 40-foot containers per year, and the company estimates it brings in more containers per dollar of sales than any other retailer in the US to feed its shelves. Due to China’s zero tolerance COVID policy, Dollar Tree experienced a two-month delay on one vessel as a result of one positive COVID test requiring a new crew to be staffed in another country prior to returning to China. Meanwhile, C.H. Robinson is adding a $175 congestion surcharge to every container. As COVID turns into an ongoing endemic, it’s prevalence could continue to snarl the ports and cause multi-month delays for a very long time . After decades of globalization, the West has shifted production overseas to save on labor (fun fact: 98% of all Big Lots artificial Christmas trees come from a port in the Yantian district of Shenzhen). Given trending political-economic East-West tensions, COVID-induced logistics costs, and adverse environmental impacts, I see few good reasons to continue outsourcing production for many of the items we import from overseas. And, now that automation reduces (with ever-increasing impact) a lot of the labor costs (such that labor itself is now more expensive across previously cheap manufacturing locales vs. automated production), the only logical solution may be a decades-long rebuilding of supply chains and factories for re-localization of production. Until that happens, you might want to do your holiday shopping now!

Great article:

Goes over the effect of 1) an aging society on inflation, that I already know, but also 2) income equality on inflation, that I did not.

This is the best explanation of interests rate I know of:

One of those social institutions is “interest”: a reward that society pays to those who voluntarily sacrifice spending power today in exchange for the promise of more spending power later. That sacrifice frees up resources so that others can spend more than they earn now. In exchange, the borrowers agree to either spend less later (if they are borrowing to buy consumer goods and services) or to produce more later (if they are borrowing to invest in expanding society’s productive capacity). Whether this is good or bad—and therefore deserving of reward or punishment—depends on each society’s circumstances.

1 Like

Despite Powell’s claim of transitory inflation, wage inflation are building up… if inflation (>3%) is here for awhile, the best stocks to be in are… yes, FANGMANT :rofl: … do nothing if you’re already in. Glancing through price charts, clearly many people are going defensive i.e. buying FANGMANT.

Why is FANGMANT (aka QQQ) the best defensive inflation play?

I would think FANGMANT (What are these anyway?) companies have tremendous pricing power. They can pass most of the cost increase due to inflation to their customers. Other companies may be not so lucky.

Up in Canada:

Lumber crash leads to ‘blowout’ sales as prices crater

At family-run Peacock Lumber in Oshawa, Ont., owner Glen Peacock said retail prices have “collapsed” in recent weeks. An eight-foot-long, two-by-four inch piece of framing lumber that cost $12.65 on June 1 is now selling for $3.95, Peacock said — basically what it would have sold for before the boom.

People can go build their decks now.

1 Like

10Y Treasury holding steady at 1.3%.

does it mean there is no more inflation?