See, Even Bill Gates Is Leaving Nada To Kids

Of course. That is why i am impressed by you as well.

I realize that my view on opportunities was very limited and it might have a negative influence on my kids regarding what they want to be when they grow up.

Frankly, i encouraged my daughter to focus more on math competitions than science fair after i went through it with her once and figured out how exhausting and demanding it was to both kid and parent. Well… now i really feel bad. :frowning:

Or, that’s the hint of not wanting to be bored out of her mind and loving the fact that she can make her own schedule and study things she loves. Sounds to me like a sole-proprietor in the making.

I am for people having the choice of homeschooling. It depends on the kids, and even more, on the parents. If you have 2 working parents of course homeschooling is not going to work for you. Some parents are better with kids than others. I for one will be a pretty lousy teacher.

1 Like

Leave the formal educating and the doctoring to the professionals. There is a reason why they are there.

@Terri,

How timely to our discussion…

Ok… So are you trying to imply people should get the flu vaccine? If so, wouldn’t you want to know if the virus going around is one of the variants covered by this year’s flu shot? Article was pretty void of information. Did anyone actually get tested to make sure it’s really the flu, not some other virus?

sfdragonboy, it’s your body–you have only one. You’d do well to research what you put into it as much as you do your investments. But if you don’t feel like doing so, that’s your choice. Don’t get upset though, when others choose to make informed decisions.

1 Like

Share Terri’s sentiments on vaccine. Americans are conned to take all kinds of meds, shots and preventive medical scans.

1 Like

yeah… leave it to the professionals…and the unions who can’t even force their members to show up to work…

http://www.sfexaminer.com/want-school-teacher/

Thank goodness most teachers are more professional than this guy.

Whatever she enjoys most! I’m all for it. I loved math competitions as a kid.

Personally, I could care less about how you want to take care of your child(ren) if you were in a vacuum. The problem is that your child(ren) unless home schooled alone until adulthood are going to be interacting with other kids and the general public. You guys seem to forget that important piece of it.

On vaccine not homeschooling. No stand on homeschooling.

Well, when the majority of medical professionals say it is safe and you should do it why wouldn’t you? Simple question.

My original post gave the reason. Doctors nowadays just follow the guidelines :slight_smile: regardless of their beliefs. In any case, one retired doctor confides to me that any meds are not good, best is to let your body take care of itself, lead a healthy lifestyle… he is now happily painting… he is forced to be a doctor by his parent.

1 Like

Given that the majority of medical professionals would lose their job for questioning vaccine safety, you should take that with a grain of salt. But the manufacturers don’t go around saying that vaccines are safe. Their inserts are very clear that people have had injuries during trials and reported injuries after the vaccine has been approved and released for public use.

First of all, do you know how many people die needlessly thinking that God would heal them. Please. What is wrong with you people? So, tell me @hanera, what happens when a person who is walking around with some infectious disease from not immunizing/vaccinating and you come into contact with that person? Regardless of how healthy you may be, you will more than likely contract that disease. Good luck, healing on your own. I have no problem if someone wants to not vaccinate but then you better not go into the general population with your germs then. So selfish people! Obviously, there will be exceptions to anything but in aggregate I think immunizations/vaccines have helped the health of the world as opposed to hurting the world. I don’t think there is any debate to that.

You still haven’t told us if you’ve even gotten half of what kids nowadays get vaccine-wise. DTap/TDap, Rotavirus, Polio, Hep A, Hep B, Hib, Pneumococcal, MMR, Varicella, HPV, Flu vaccine, Meningococcal? Are you up to date? If not, quit picking on other people and stop being a hypocrite.

Honestly @Terri I have not but you know as well as I do as an adult I have generally a stronger immune system than a child would have. Besides, children are usually around other children and you know what that means, germs are transmitted much easier. I don’t believe the medical community advises that all adults be immunized and vaccinated to the degree children need to be. There are probably many reasons for that and I will do some research on it. My brother in law the surgeon will probably give me an earful of information.

Thank you for your honesty.

I personally, have not observed adults to have better immune systems, but certainly it varies with each individual.

Child mandates have been way easier to put into place because of people with attitudes just like yours. But adult mandates are in the works, including one passed in CA last year. It is a billion dollar untapped market for the pharmaceutical companies, and they are ready to go after it.

I really don’t want to post my own medical history, but I will tell you that for the last vaccine I got, I actually asked for and read the insert (I do this now for all medications because I am have learned of some serious stuff in my family medical history that no one bothers to ask about when they prescribe things), and got the vaccine thinking “whatever… I’ll be fine.” I got one of the side effects, clearly listed on the insert which was serious, but thankfully temporary.

One of my children also had an adverse reaction to a vaccine that took him 4 years to get over. Within two days of a set of vaccines, his immune system started attacking his own body.

I know two people who have gotten GBS (Gullain Barre’ Syndrome), one from MMR, the other from the Flu vaccine. Again, known side effect listed on both inserts. The first, a child, ended up in the emergency room, the second was an adult male who was paralyzed for a year.

And I know a number of other people whose kids have had various adverse reactions, some permanent and debilitating.

If you’ve never had an adverse reaction or allergy to either a drug or a vaccine, you have been lucky. Personally, I have learned not to judge others when they exercise caution about what they inject, eat, or pill-pop, and I try to understand their concerns because sometimes they know something that I don’t. I understand you’re not there yet, but I hope you’ll learn this eventually.

I also agree with hanera–keeping healthy and doing what you can to boost your immune system overall–is the best way to fight everything–thousands of different diseases–not just the 30 some-odd things we currently have vaccines for. I’m not a fan of indiscriminately popping vitamins, but I have found that taking Vitamins C and D (and getting D naturally through sunlight) have cut my sick days from 30+ miserable days to 7 “I’m feeling a bit tired, but I’m generally functional” days a year.

@Terri,

Do what you feel is right for you as a parent. All I am saying is that the medical community overwhelmingly is for it (immunizations/vaccinations) so whom are we to really question that thinking? We have managed to wipe out most diseases in this world and it is because of the general practice of immunizing and vaccinating our children no? I don’t believe it is chance that we have come so far.

When adults have school age children living with them they are typically sick more than adults without children because the children catch a bug at school and bring it home to infect the parent. (The same things happens when employers do not offer sick pay.) I question the wisdom of letting children go unvaccinated for serious diseases and then attend public schools where they can spread diseases. I have never known a person to get sick from a vaccination, but Terri has known several. I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.