Shoring up a retaining wall between upper/lower lots

Sure. Will do later.

1 Like

@elt1

Can you comment on the pictures above? Should the wall have been cement/stone?

Ah, so the base of the hedges that are on your side is at the top of the retaining wall dirt. I mean this is just a partial fence and wall. I find it hard to believe that the entire parking lot above is being held by a wood wall when you have all that cement ground to the way right side of the entire structure…

Full height fence, and something below it…

The stuff to the right is the driveway–it slopes down by about 5’ right after the picture.

Well, maybe you go in 50/50 on a cement block or full cement poured retaining wall with rebar used and gravel and pipes for drainage. I used to have a similar wood retaining wall next to my neighbor’s lot and we replaced it with a cement block retaining wall. Lasted until the day I sold the place…

1 Like

Better but wood posts are Ok. Probably should have been 6x8s. And drilled 6 feet into the ground. But if wall is not tilting there is no failure

It was tilting, but the seller fixed it to sell. View appears to be 2-3 years ago–the trees are now almost level with the fence

Old view:
50%20PM

50%20PM

He’s saying that there’s a stress fracture in one of the beams. I had thought he meant metal or cement. If there’s a fracture in wood, I’d have a hard time being surprised.

Sounds like I need more information, but good to hear that wood is ok.

These guys aren’t going to pay for anything. I can already tell that. They’re complaining about the things that happened with the previous sellers (who apparently everyone else in the neighborhood loved) and how much each thing cost.

I don’t mind that honestly, in that I’d rather have control over what gets put in, do it right, and then tell them that we’ve done our duty and we’re parking where we want.

So far, we moved in with only tenting and movers as our main cost. Foundation appears good. Might have to put in a french drain along our walls. So no major repair costs so far.

The bigger issue is that we’ll lose probably 1ft of planting space there. The trees will have to go. I think I’m ok with that, but they had started growing on me. :slight_smile:

Originally I’d intended to pull them out and put in rose bushes.

Plus the neighbors will pepper us with requests of what to do/not to do in the process.

Well, [quote=“Terri, post:30, topic:5332”]
These guys aren’t going to pay for anything.
[/quote]

Uh, well, it is more on his property right? Frankly, I learned the hard way on a common sewer lateral situation I had once. An attorney I asked about it said frankly, if it were me, I would do nothing until the neighbor offered. The neighbor has the responsibility to take care of his property too.

The neighbor is a bully.Either pepper him with kindness or a restraining order…

Depends on where the boundary is. If it’s the fence, I’d do it on our side of the fence. It’d b a double retaining wall.

I don’t think they’re trying to be mean, but they’re worriers and retired. I will have to evaluate their comments carefully, but so far what I’m getting is their side of a long and nasty argument between them and the previous owners, along with comments that may indicate that things that should logically make them happy will not make them happy. I’m trying to be a good listener, but we can’t afford to lose that parking spot–and they acknowledge that. I’m miffed they didn’t bring this up 30 days before closing when we ran into them and introduced ourselves.

But in the end, I don’t want to ignore them if they’re correct. Even if it’s their retaining wall, and they didn’t put enough money into making it strong, if our side really is sliding into theirs, aggravated by a creek that runs right underneath our property, it’s gotta get fixed, otherwise we lose the parking spot when the soil underneath the parking spot slides into their backyard. Neighbor said that there was a sinkhole on the other side of the property which caused the neighbors on the other side to put in a pretty nifty retaining wall.

Frankly, since I know you to be kind of a worry wart too (sorry, in a good way…) then do the stronger cement or concrete way instead of wood. Wood is not going to last as long. What did your neighbor put in?

I haven’t seen it in person, but does look like wood. My other neighbor put in 8" concrete. All back neighbors (also 6’ over my property) have either cinderblock or concrete.

I would certainly make sure we did poured concrete with rebar.

1 Like

Done.

1 Like

Parking is a very light load compared to the soil pressure on the wall. Plus the car load is only about 1000# per tire. The car load is projected at 45 degrees.
So if the wall is three feet high and the car is more than three feet from the wall there is no car load on the wall. A vertical crack on a wood post is no issue. Normal wood cracks

1 Like

Two words: Millennium Tower

Mantra: Do things right, the first time…

1 Like

The neighbor is stirring up shit. Lived with whatever the problem was for years. Any cracks in the paving would indicate settlement. If none, no issue.

1 Like