Silicon Valley Is Over, Says Silicon Valley

Has he left? He has been saying he wants to leave for a long long long time.

1 Like

dont see anything online which suggests that he has not left.

1 Like

Ended before that. Only 8:03.

oops wrong video. Full video is good too -

Correct video below:10:30 - 13:51

Anecdotes that IT companies are leaving quietly or having branches in other States. Cost of doing business in SV is too expensive. IMHO is bearish long term on SV and its RE, not necessary stocks though :slight_smile: As Peter Thiel pointed out, tech companies would be spread out i.e. mini SVs all over USA. A few good ones are Austin and RTP. Housing is cheap, nearby good Universities and an international Airport.

1 Like

I have always wondered what is an IT company. There is a Tech or regular company and it has an IT department/ division. These departments are moving to areas outside Bay Area.

Companies calling themselves IT companies are mostly IT service provider companies based out of Asia that supply contractors to IT divisions of regular company.

This video confirmed to me @ this AI buzzword thing(1 year back it was “data analytics” that was the buzzword). It’s more of a hoopla than a big new disruptor at this point. For SV it’s a self serving hoopla.

1 Like

So true for enterprise software companies . Dont want to be seen missing something thats being talked about

Mobility->Social->Big Data->Analytics->AI/ML (2017)->VR??

Annual strategy is based on what to show for the annual conference. The theme is critical:

Understand the theme of the year->check how far you are->you are too far->acquire another company in the area->Try using the new technology in existing products->you can’t do it before the conference->No worries just prepare for demo->Re-position your product marketing with the new technology->Showcase in the conference as the new shiny addition/update

Product is not ready-> No worries we will include some stuff in next release
Pricing is not ready - > we can always adjust it
It may not work at all → who cares, the stock is up 10% already after conference showcase, plan to acquire shiny new technology for next year, using stocks.

1 Like

I like text better than video. Here are a few points he made (these are likely the view Silicon Valley elites hold secretly, but too afraid to tell us)

1. Bitcoin may be real store of value
  2. AI is an ill defined buzzword
  3. Democrats will make good showing in midterm
  4. Trump will be re-elected if he runs
  5. Liberal media might wish for Trump’s re-election because Trump makes liberal media big bucks.

I guess Twitter also secretly wish Trump to be re-elected

I don’t like time consuming long videos. It can be summarized to a 30 second bullet point text as I did

3 Likes

“The big is beautiful line is coming especially from the large companies (Facebook, Google, …) that are threatened by antitrust and need to justify their scale.”

This sort of talk prompts one obvious, knee-jerk response: It’s simply hypocrisy. When Google and Facebook were start-ups, their executives said start-ups were good. Now that Google and Facebook are huge, their executives say huge companies are good. It’s cynical, if not unexpected.

…all the way up through the 20th century. The best thing you could be in Silicon Valley was a founder, and the best thing a founder could do was supercede those who came before.

The newest generation of companies has not been able to fulfill the latter half of that prophecy.

Because FB and GOOG gobble those startups before they become real threats.

2 Likes

This shouldn’t be surprising. They kept the party going by companies staying private for longer. Turns out the new economy isn’t that different from the old in terms of the P&L.

1 Like

Have I not been echoing this idea for a long time ( from the article above)?

A dispersing tech workforce has also loosened the bonds between much of the venture capital firmly rooted in the Bay Area and the need for companies like Fast, founded here largely to access deep wells of cash and tech talent, to set up shop in the area.

Venture capital loves places with vice such as Tenderloin and Manhattan. For this reason, I hope there won’t be much venture capital for startups in Austin. Let them stay in @manch backyard. Just pass the jobs to Austin after the startups have matured.

1 Like