Software Engineer salaries in 2018, tech levels, and lifestyle

The key is to not spend it all and invest it. Once you get enough capital then it’s your choice if you want to work or not.

So for those who bought in 2018, just chill for 5 years and will make it in 2023?

1 Like

Not sure what “enough” is with rising costs for everything - housing, insurance, daycare/childcare. Maybe I’ll have more data in a couple of years.

Well, I don’t find it coincidental but how is it that all of my immediate teammates who happen to be mostly Asian and most of my brother’s fellow coworkers and engineer friends also dip (not dabble) heavily into investing in RE or stocks??? Yes, for sure the tax laws “force” you to get into the game but still. Most of my teammates are younger pups and even our newest team member who happens to be female partnered up with people and bought a multi unit to flip or rent out fully. Shoot, they probably are saying I’m slacking off now. You simply can’t rest on your laurels (current paycheck) even though it may be a nice package that for anywhere else would be considered “making it.” The Bay Area is competition at its finest…

Signs of aging :slight_smile: Guess you are over 45. Or has a young child less than 2 years old.

1 Like

Quite the opposite, they want younger people. Lots of them talk about talent management :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure you are from MIT? 5 years ago include 10 years ago and 20 years ago :slight_smile: Or do you mean precisely 5 years, 10 years and 20 years ago :rofl:

companies also say “keep this confidential” about one’s pay. turns out it’s illegal.

@sfdragonboy can guess all his coworker salaries.

Well, nooo, but if you are one of the old timers who is higher on the food chain you probably have a good idea of what people make. I always thought it were the millennials who didn’t care if people knew what everyone made. It was all about transparency and if I deserve X now, I should get X now. We old school folks are more reserved and reluctant to discuss this openly, even amongst say family or friends.

Hi, got a email offer from FB for E5, what do you think? Is it OK or bad?

Recruiter says it’s the maxed in every direction (negotiated base from 185 to 200 only), does not want to negotiate further. I have other offers but similar TC so no real leverage.

200/15%/450/60

8 yoe

Facebook E5 is about the same level as Google L5. People have tons of money. They just refuse to buy houses, yet.

1 Like

What’s 450/60?

15% bonus. 450K RSU. 60K signing bonus.

All for an E5. That’s staggering high pay.

1 Like

Ok the only enticing part about this package is the 450k RSU :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Too bad it takes 4 years to earn them all… :rofl:

Half of it is lost in tax though.

1 Like

$450k per year :grinning:

1 Like

Goodness I need to get a job asap.

3 Likes

Um… ok I need to apply for a job at FB if that were the case… :rofl:

You shouldn’t have dropped out of the job market. Pay of SWEs in tech hubs keep rocketing especially for those machine learning and data scientists.