Software Engineer salaries in 2018, tech levels, and lifestyle

Correction: I will need to sell my FB shares because the stock dilution is reaching absurdity level… :scream:

Don’t worries, FB buy shares to compensate the dilution, so is ok.

People on the blind thread advised the person to take the offer as “winter is coming”. :scream:

2 Likes

RSU is a one time grant with 4 year vest cycle. He might get more of it next year depending on performance. There can never be a guaranteed amount every single year based on his level. Seems like you’ve been out of the job market for too long…

1 Like

About $350k per year. Solid offer for 8 yoe. What’s the job title?

Which house should he buy assuming single income? Give your best recommendations. Let’s have a competition to see who will find the best house for this imaginationary buyer. It will show us where the housing market is today.

Pretty wise advice, full of wisdom.

1 Like

Huh? Is currently in winter. Spring not here yet.

Apple, Samsung and LG are telling us that winter is coming

FB shares will go 3x in the next 4 years. 450K RSU means close to 1.5M after 4 years.

@Terri time to send out some resumes.

1 Like

Since winter is coming better wait now. There may be bargains to be had from all those laid off apple engineers. :smile:

SFHs? Can you afford :smiling_imp:
For stocks, better to let go of the risky ones i.e those don’t have earnings, just riding on fast growth. Is not clear whether they will ever be a profit making business or can survive the recession as their clients keep folding.

Not just those three, many B2C businesses seem to be preparing for a recession. Watch what TSLA did.

Even the laid off Apple workers still need to love somewhere. Winter of stocks could be the spring for housing :rofl:

Also we don’t jump to conclusions. We look at what houses he can afford and might be interested to see whether the housing market is out of reach for such a good engineer for the houses he might be interested.

8 yoe = 30 yo to 35 yo.

We can also consider a E6 who earns 500k a year including everything, ages 35-40 yo.

Assuming both E5 and E6 have 20% down payment for whatever house they can afford.

Uh, laid off Apple workers won’t be able to qualify for a mortgage unless they want to pay cash.

1 Like

Instead of laying off workers, they can simply freeze hiring. They kind of started that already.

@harriet Why did you cancel the plan of buying the 2nd house? Lack of job security or lack of income growth? :joy:

1 Like

I’m not canceling. Nothing within budget fits my criteria.

1 Like

Last october, some fantastic deals were there due to Prop 10. What were you doing then?

Like I said. I have very strict criteria when it comes to property selection (no cul de sac for example). Took me a few years to find my primary even back then.

Being picky can cost you a fortune :rofl:

1 Like

The “deals” you mentioned were not good enough to justify compromises. If they were steals you should have bought them then.

1 Like

Where did you buy? The cost of my first purchase was quite low. It was before the runup in my area - difference was negligible.

Edit: What the hell? Ghosting me now? Don’t want people to know about your gold mine? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: