South San Francisco next hot area?

Thanks! I have to be reasonably close to a BART station so that’s why San Bruno and Millbrae are in play. SSF would be if not for the planes overhead. Millbrae fixer kinda sounds interesting…

have you check daly city westlake #1 olypmic? that area is very much like sunset and pretty much no fog, close to bart, freeway, close to sunset/millbrae and close to the westlake mall. very good neighborhood, and price around 1-1.2 i think. But no view.

I have looked over there and for some reason my wife and I like the look and feel of San Bruno Hills more. Not sure what it is. Maybe it is the possibility of some view and the style of the homes.

These places are not cheap, but they are not good areas. Might as well stick with Millbrae if you have to buy into Daly City, South SF, or San Bruno. Or stay in Sunset!

Well the reason I am doing this is exchanging a property to eventually move into. I will have a hard time justifying a 1031 exchange if I simply bought another Sunset home that I moved into. Yeah, this most likely would never come up but I ain’t having my exchange disallowed and I end up paying a few hundred grand in capital gain tax. Everything has to be done right. Even if someone questions why the need to go to Millbrae or San Bruno I have the ironclad reasons already that will play out in a few years with my work and family.

Why do you need to justify a 1031 exchange? Justify to whom? You just need to buy a property of equal or higher value within a given timeframe. That’s all!

Geez, overbidding fever has hit San Bruno now!!! $1k/sf

Went to check this one out today…impressive. Unfortunately at the end of a cul du sac and the cars are coming right at you…

1 Like

Holding for a little over one year and sold for 42% more than what the seller paid for. The upgrade seems to be cosmetic only.

This just appeared in my LinkedIn news feed:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/first-high-rise-laboratory-building-100-leased-rebekah-studer/

Traffic on Hwy 101 in SSF (e.g. Grand Ave, Oyster Point Blvd, and Sierra Point Parkway exits) is going to be a nightmare once the these new large-scale projects for biotechs are completed in the next few years. The biotech scene is going to be a SSF vs. Cambridge (Boston) rivalry in the coming years… with biotech communities in Seattle, San Diego, NY/NJ, Philadelphia, NC Research Triangle withering.

I am aware of the following new projects that are underway:

Grand Avenue exit:

• Merck new west coast headquarter (300k sq ft, 9-story new construction by Alexandria)
  • Verily (Google Life Science) expansion (400k sq ft, by Alexandria)

Oyster Point exit

• Genesis by Phase 3 (800k sq ft office/lab space in two tall tower structures + one hotel)
  • The Cove by HCP/CBRE (1M sq ft office/lab space in a seven-building campus + one giant parking structure + one hotel)
  • The Landing at Oyster Point by Greenland (2.25M sq ft office/lab space + 1200-unit residential units + 22k sq ft retail space)
  • Gateway of Pacific complex by BioMed Realty (1M sq ft in two buildings, across from the Cove on Oyster Point Blvd)

Sierra Point Parkway exit

• Sierra Point by HCP/CBRE (620k sq ft office/lab space in 5 buildings)

Wow! Are you guys asking if any part close to SF is a hot area?

Where have you guys been living in the last 6 years? If RWC got so hot, gee, going towards SF would be hotter. Why? Because I have said it here, you have to think ahead of the sheeple effect. You have to have a vision, sit down and pull your crystal ball and see, look, analyze, think, think, think!

Remember EPA? Same thing!

Another thought. People are leaving for the valley, whatever that is.

And houses on ESJ are coming one too many on the market. Good location, by the mountains. Nice area.

Dang!

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2017/10/12/south-san-francisco-sees-boom-in-housing-pipeline.html

Sidebar: what kind of people work in biotech companies? Do they all have phds in biology or related fields?

Yes, one of my tenants has a PHD from UCSF and works for one of the big drug companies in SSF.

How about this house? Price is lower than what I expected… The power lines over the backyard look pretty scary though. Plane noise in this area?

In addition to the potential plane noise, the discount is probably due to bad feng shui (t-junction) and proximity to a few schools nearby. I suspect there are a lot of random people passing by this house to attend the adult school and high school next door.

No garage, plane noise and T junction are some of the possible issues.

Pending, of course…

This house just closed for more than 50% above asking price. Granted the asking price may be too low.

closed for $115K above asking.

1 Like