Speaking Of Berkeley

Berkeley has way better college town feel than Palo Alto. PA feels overrun with money envy.

Coffee town? How is it related to housing price?

And college town from coffee town?

Whatā€™s the hell logic?

Donā€™t cut down!!! DCD!!! Donā€™t cut down!!!

But, we are replacing with marijuana plantsā€¦

Cut down!!! Cut down NOW!!!

Arrest the protesters please. UC Berkeley has determined that the trees are damaged and we donā€™t want the tree falling down and kill people

Protester: So, if you, a human, is sick and ā€œdamagedā€ should we automatically kill you too???

Peopleā€™s park is land that was supposed to be for student housing. It is a symbol of the arrogance and stupidity of progressives.

1 Like

First They Came for Plastic Bags. Coffee Cups Are Next

As local and national governments move to tax ā€” or ban ā€” to-go cups, Starbucks and Dunkinā€™ race to find an alternative

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-28/starbucks-sbux-dunkin-dnkn-brace-for-coffee-cup-bans-fees?srnd=premium

1 Like

I actually didnā€™t realize paper cups were that difficult to recycle, and take up to 20 years to disintegrate. Will bring my own container from now.

Well, if your kids donā€™t make it into UC Berkeley, just think of it as a big housing headache saved. A new dorm has opened, and will house about 750 freshman. Currently, UC Berkeley can only offer housing to 22% for undergraduates and 9% for graduate students, but more projects are in the pipeline:

The $98.7 million David Blackwell Hall is a joint project, of sorts, between UC Berkeley and American Campus Communities, the nationā€™s largest builder, owner and manager of student dormitories. Based in Austin, TX, ACC is a self-managed real estate investment trust (REIT) that has properties on 94 campuses around the U.S. It owns 168 properties with approximately 103,500 beds, according to company documents. It has around $6.5 billion in real estate assets. Bill Bayless, who was a resident advisor in college, started the company, which counts 25 other former RAs on its senior staff. ACC also intends to compete to be the master developer to build about 7,500 beds for UC Berkeley in the next decade

Each student will pay $16,670 in rent for the 2018-2019 academic year, the same as for other doubles on campus.

Berkeley bans roommate housing. Students are not allowed to share a big house. Students may need to fake that they are married to or related to or adopt each other to be able to share the house :rofl:

I bought a house in Berkeley for $40k. There were 12 tenantsā€¦ basically a flop house. They had scratched on the window that the rent was $200/m. That house today is worth well over $1m. Thanks to me and my buddy. We gutted it and sold it for $90k to family.

Was that back in the 80s?

1 Like

Was the rent $200/m per person? That would be $2400 rent on 40k Berkeley house that has no rent control? If that was the case, you can get your money back in 18 months.

$200 total. Those hippies spent most of their income on pot.

$200 rent on a 40k house in 1976? Thatā€™s too low. Interest rate was over 10%?

Is this low rental yield typical in those years?

It was a dump that needed a total redo. Rents were cheap in those days. And yes they were paying below market rent. The seller gave up and gave it away. The hippies had basically stolen the value of the house.
A 4bd. 2 bath house on Vine basically untouched since built 1906. Everything we did in 1976 needs to be redone again. 40 years is the limit of most of building systems.
Kitchen baths, roof plumbing windows donā€™t last much longer plus electrical, siding and walk ways fences.

Ban natural gas? Stir frying on a wok on a gas stove gave the food wok flavor!

ā€œI just prefer an open flame,ā€ Davis said. ā€œI donā€™t think there is a huge difference in the taste, but I do think the taste is a little more enhanced over an open flame.ā€

A city run by idiots