Suburban/Rural lifestyle for newbies

is this fire country? Looks amazing - except during fire season.

1 Like

This property doesn’t have that many trees around it. Should be fine I guess? But speaking of fire, this year’s fire season has already started. We haven’t had much rain at all this winter.

:scream:

1 Like

I was at Lake Shasta recently. My kids wanted to see the caverns.
This was my 2nd time here. I was here in 2013 last (the photo shows how far you need to walk to get to the boats now). All of this context is important because I want to point out that the water level has vertically dropped by about 90 feet. The tour guide was quite worried that more water from the lake would be released to farmers.
Funnily enough, the lakes in Oregon seemed all full and fine (at least the ones I saw).

2 Likes

Shasta always has an ugly bath tub ring. The nature of reservoirs. Everyone will be coming to Tahoe … no ugly bath tub ring.

Good find! Went into pending in 9 days. Impressive for a rural setting.

AirBnB doesn’t work with all the association rules.

1 Like

So firewise it. It’s not rocket science.
Years ago we had the Summit fire in the Santa Cruz mountains. An entire neighborhood built without permits burned down except for one little home at the end of a road called Dove Lane. None of the other houses needed to burn. All the guy at the end of the road did was clear defensible space and he didn’t have to turn his little slice of heaven into the surface of the moon to do it.

2 Likes

Home with 5 acres lot near Santa Cruz.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Watsonville/226-Scarlet-Ct-95076/home/17310579

i love this. If only we didn’t have kids and were ready for this lifestyle.

I am not into rural living but if you are into it the Santa Cruz mountains is a pretty good spot I think.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Cruz/4361-Branciforte-Dr-95065/home/2409660

This house is kinda falling apart. But it has 20 acres of open space!

Fire insurance may not be available

2 Likes

I have a city slicker tenant in my main farm house. They called in a panic because there were gnats in the house. Some people should stay in the city.

2 Likes

hahaha. I expect more of this as people figure out they aren’t cut out for living outside of big cities.

A La Honda landlord friend of mine once had a tenant call because she found a millipede in the house.

Actually, lot of college educated, Phd and master’s degree holders cannot tell difference between a millipede and a cockroach. Although they will be able to describe the Climate Theory to tell you how the temperature is rising fast and soon Phoenix will be a beach town.

The only thing one really needs to know about millipedes, which eat detritus, and cockroaches which eat the leavings of slobs who don’t clean up after themselves is that both are basically harmless in small numbers. In the 80’s I lived somewhere where there was a minor cockroach infestation. Once, while bored with my studies, I watched one clean each of its legs before cleaning both its antennae. Those things are fastidious. Unlike my former housemates…

2 Likes

Send in a few :rooster: no more 🪳 and millipedes

1 Like

I prefer the cockroaches over my tenants. In Tahoe cockroaches are not native. The were all brought there by city slickers. Thanks for nothing

2 Likes

We did some research and the red tickets so far in the rural living are not well and septic system like we were focusing/anticipating. They are apparently virtual connectivity to outside world.

Given that we are working remote and are in IT. We realized most of these properties have issues with Internet speed, data (Satellite) and Mobile signal.

2 Likes

I have Centurylink in the sticks (only source available) and my speed would never do for working. No problem for being retired though. Heck, out it the desert my Jetpack with one bar of service meets all my needs.

Starlink should solve this issue.