Suburban/Rural lifestyle for newbies

Starlink isn’t available for the next 8 months :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I got an invite to beta test it a few months back.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Felton/10099-Rosebloom-Ave-95018/home/2367984

Come home to this tranquil retreat. Leave the chaos of the world & unwind as you drive thru the majestic redwood forest to your own sanctuary. Imagine the lifestyle you will have in this tranquil setting with room to garden, views of redwoods & your private spa. Close to all conveniences of downtown Felton (4mi. ), Scotts Valley (8mi. ), Santa Cruz (10 mi. ) & 4 miles to the endless hiking/biking/horse riding trails of Henry Cowell. This is a tight-knit community where all but 1 home on Rosebloom Ave are owner-occupied. This sweet home is warm & inviting & is ideal for either a primary residence or as a weekend getaway. The home features high-speed Comcast internet, vaulted wood beam ceilings, walls of windows that bring the outside in, new luxury vinyl plank flooring, new carpet, fresh paint inside & out, new light fixtures, new deck & balcony, newer appliances, public water with owned water treatment & much more! Your children can benefit from top-rated schools! See it b4 it’s gone!

Damn, I need to get some SpaceX shares

1 Like

Felton is not bad, undervalued location that is close to everything. This particular property may be in the Felton zip code, but most ppl call this neighborhood “Zayante”. It shares a lot of characteristics with “Lompico”. I bought a 2/1 there a few years ago for $84k, sold later for 124k and that guy sold it for 198k. That hopefully explains my bias.

When buying there, pay attention to the lot size. These neighborhoods have tiny lots. Less than an acre, if there’s a problem with the septic system, it will be more expensive.

1 Like

Speaking of Felton, this one is very modern. Looks like something from Dwell magazine.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Felton/135-Beth-Dr-95018/home/2352091

1 Like

Los Gatos up in the woods. 10.5 acres.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Gatos/815-Hester-Creek-Rd-95033/home/21990500

1 Like

Close to Bart, shopping, and commute when necessary.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Castro-Valley/26465-Palomares-Rd-94552/home/1205709?utm_medium=share&utm_source=web_share&utm_campaign=copy

1 Like

I used to live near here, nice area. Lots of speeders on Palomares road. I am an okay driver and I was scared driving here.

Very nice area. Parts of Sunol are also very nice and not too far flung.
The weather is very different once you cross the Diablo range. Driving through Niles Canyon takes maybe 12 minutes and the temperature can easily be 10 degrees warmer on the Sunol side.

Watch out for the ISP situation when buying rural…

Lots of places I go I have only a Verizon Jet Pack. Adequate even with just one bar of service. But of course I’m not e-mailing Powerpoints around or downloading movies.

Speaking of the devil…

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Cruz/157-Happy-Valley-Rd-95065/home/2409867

This truly magical property is close-in country, is private & benefits by the top-rated Happy Valley School District. The land is pristine & enjoys all-day sun exposure & views of the neighboring vineyard. The magical garden has been nurtured daily for 38 years. The spacious garage, storage room & horse paddocks make this the ideal place to bring your horses/hobbies/toys. The 1-level abode has a desirable floorplan & was built from redwood milled on-site. This gem is truly a time capsule of an era gone by. Imagine the lifestyle you will have living in a completely tranquil setting, within a 5-minute drive to all conveniences of town & a short jaunt to beaches/redwood state parks! This is an ideal commute location & the perfect retreat after a long work day. Comcast hi-spd internet & garden views from the office make this a dreamy setting to work from home. A sunny knoll is a sweet location for the possibility of a 2nd home. Dont miss this rare, full-sun, close-in country opportunity!

What happen during earthquake? And flooding.

Flood factor is minimal and the home has been there since '51. That’s a lot of severe El Nino’s. Don’t know why quakes would be any worse there than anywhere else. If there is one at least one doesn’t have the potential urban chaos to go along with it.

Soil in the hills typically is better (harder) than in the flats.

The Santa Cruz mountain have fires earthquakes landslides road closures traffic on 17. Plenty of negatives. Does not seem to stop more people from coming. I personally don’t like living under dark forest canopy. Like wide open spaces like on the ridge tops.

Just saw this post. I have friends who tried the multi-acre farm-your-own food thing in Boston and gave up. Both in IT also.

My recommendation would be fruit trees, nut trees, and growing berries (the best bang for your buck). Keep the trees short though - short enough to be able to reach the tops - read this short book on it:

Fruit and nut trees will provide a lot of food for much less work once they take hold. You’ll have your hands full making jam and drying the fruit. You won’t have to turn over soil or any of that crap. Keep your chickens, have a small veggies garden, buy the rest. If you’re feeling really adventurous, grow your own grapes and make wine…

4 Likes

PS: Water concerns are real. I don’t know a lot about it, but

1. If you want to have a well, make sure the property comes with it as you may not have permission to drill a new one (depends on the city)

2. Where is the water table and how low will it drop in dry season? A couple of years ago people in La Honda were trekking in water, I think, because the table had dropped too low.

3. Make sure you account for the space for a leaching field - I’m not sure you can grow stuff there.

1 Like

The real problem with farming is that it takes an enormous amount of labor. A t current wages farmers will go bankrupt in the US. All food will be grown overseas unless mechanization can take over.