Suburbs Trying to Attract Millennials Diverge on Development Patterns

No licensing requirement, and smart kids can pick up programming no problem. Programming by itself is pretty easy. It’s more physical labor than anything else. But thinking about algorithm and data structure is non trivial. And there is no short cut for those.

Please don’t compare ourselves with geniuses like Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Ma. For us, mortals, get as high an academic qualifications as you can. Very smart is not a genius, and is destined to work for geniuses.

Jack Ma passed high school only at the third try. Can’t find a job and no colleges willing to accept him, so he went to a teaching college to learn to be a teacher. His genius is not academic, and not technical (don’t even know how to use any office software). He has leadership, vision and communication skills. Same kind of skills as Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg.

You don’t have to be zuckerberg to make a “decent living”. Just get an electricians apprenticeship and you will make good money. Sure you can make more with various degrees but they are not necessary for life

I would agree with that. A cousin’s kid is doing exactly that (electrician) and doing fine for himself in the big city. Trades are not glamorous but everyone needs a plumber, an electrician, a carpenter at some point. From the recent PMs I have been getting and unfortunately wasn’t able to respond to with a good referral, a good licensed local contractor would be worth his/her weight in gold.

I’d argue a bigger issue than not attending college is racking up massive debt in a degree with no career prospects.

2 Likes

…but what about that “college life experience”???:slight_smile::grinning::grin:

1 Like

Harder to get in the electricians union than college. .you have to know someone

2 Likes

That would be correct, Sir…

My extended family knows people in the right places…

There’s always a catch!

When I was in college all my EE friends were busy learning this great new language called COBOL to replace FORTRAN. It was cutting edge.

Yep. That’s how it goes. :relieved:

4 Likes