Sunrun solar. Rented system with Tesla power wall

Has anyone used this system. Basically Sunrun owns the system and you rent the power from them. No loan or lien against the property…
This system is now popular because PGE basically now gives hardly any credit for power fed back to them
The is plan lets Sunrun act as a utility and charges you a flat monthly fee. No loan or lien on your property

1 Like

I don’t have Sunrun but I have Solar City leased panels on my roof and we pay solar city on the power generated. Solar city puts a lien on my house so every time I refi I have to do a subordination which costs extra and which far outweighs any electricity savings we might be getting, if any.

And I am getting frequent emails about the monitoring system going offline and I have to go check the connections. We don’t use that much electricity to begin with so it’s not really worth the hassles.

This Sunrun program is flat fee and no lien? Do you get allowance if you want to replace the roof?

2 Likes

Thanks

There is a new billing system for solar. Export rates is cut 75%. So solar is only worth it if paired with a battery system.

NEM 3.0 key takeaways:

• Solar systems placed in service prior to April 15, 2023 will remain under their existing net metering policy for 20 years from their interconnection date
  • Solar systems under NEM 3.0 billing will earn, on average, 75% less for the excess electricity they push onto the grid
  • Under NEM 3.0, the payback period for solar and battery storage systems will be roughly equal to the payback period of solar-only systems
2 Likes

Solar utility was created by government regulations and subsidies. It will now be killed off by them. It will never provide more than 20% of energy demands and will require an extensive network of batteries that may only someday be adequate.