Telecommuting/ WFH and Remote Work

Do not say that ! All negatives I experienced. I know the pain of visa process/GC process…etc. I was rejected two times and stamped not to apply for next 2 years, but finally came here after 2 years of wait.

I am not telling about the individual visa processing etc…but this country allows all the creme people to come here and grow up individually.

They stand by patent rights, copy right…etc…You have not gone through suppression or how suppression works elsewhere outside USA.

Here, it is equality and freedom to perform on your own.

All these are derived from British/European traditions and English common law. Immigration is not specific to the United States. All five eye countries allow immigration (USA, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand, etc). That is why I asked why did the US stop producing large number of STEM workers after 1970s. This was not a rhetorical question.

There is no point of going through endless chat, picking one topic to another…? Let me stop here at least.

Germany upto 30% population is immigrant. With Majority of immigrants Turkish and Russian.

Germany Coronovirus vaccine is developed by Turkish husband and wife team. They made billions.

Every wealthy country is attracting best minds now. its not limited to SF bay area.

He is bored. @erth should go do some yard work. Plant some flowers. Mow the lawn. Prune bushes. Remove dead branches from trees.

1 Like

Immigration is a complex phenomenon. I like the way it is given a fantastical meaning by some quarters, at least in the USA. Kuwait, up to 70% population consists of immigrants. So What? Are we expecting next big thing from Kuwait?

When the very first time I asked why did US stop producing the STEM graduates that foreign nationals are needed to fill the STEM positions, it was just a suggestion to “ponder” I did not expect an answer then, nor do I expect one now. It is something that I am trying to understand beyond the oft-repeated platitudes that we hear.

Kuwaits are not citizens. In Germany they are actual citizens with political power. The point i am making we dont have monoply over attracting best talent.

Other countries are joining hands in increasing logistical and industrial efficiency… They teach each other language in schools. German is almost like first language for Turks for centuries.
Putin and Merkel speak each other language.

how many Indians H1b can speak Japanese/ Korean/ Mandrin/Vietnamese/ Filipino?.

Knorr-Bremse to support RZD to develop 400km/h trains

Why does the US have to attract any talent. Why not grow talent at home? That is why my first question. What stopped the US, the creator of most technological innovation in the last one hundred year, from being the supplier of the talent? There was very little immigration for the 40 years till 1965 when immigration started opening up. That is why I said the immigration and talent is a complex subject and not something that can be described in terms of the usual rhetoric.

Answer your own question? Many Acts blocking immigrations before then? Rise of tech companies (from semi onwards) demand smart and cheap labor? Too lazy to research.

1 Like

Immigration is a dual edged sword. It can act both way. You can end up with a large population of immigrants dependent upon welfare. Or you can have immigrant population that helps you build the country.

Depends on policies. If let in illegal immigrants and let their born-in-America babies become citizens, then welfare issue. If for every H1Bs, let in the entire family, then welfare issue.

sit outside get answer. but regardless US simply cannot compete now without mass importation or outsource work.

Companies Start to Think Remote Work Isn’t So Great After All

1 Like

American strength is in design and marketing. So American businesses have been creaming the most lucrative part of the business, leaving others to grab the crumbs. However, the main supporters of the orange man are those guys from coal, steel, auto and heavy machinery factories. His supporters prefer crumbs!

1 Like

Of course it’s not great. America is alone in hyping remote work like it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Why? Because we suck at our handling of Covid. Countries that crushed corona all go back to their offices to work. If it’s such a great productivity booster you would expect the Chinese and the Koreans to follow suit.

Short term remote can work. Big decisions were made before Covid and teams have the face-to-face relationship built up after years working together side by side physically. But like that coyote running off a cliff, sooner or later gravity will win.

The WSJ article @Boolean posted is required reading. First article that checks in on the reality of remote work. Some excerpts below. Read the whole thing.

“There’s sort of an emerging sense behind the scenes of executives saying, ‘This is not going to be sustainable,’” said Laszlo Bock, chief executive of human-resources startup Humu and the former HR chief at Google.

“It was people being terrified of losing their jobs, and that fear-driven productivity is not sustainable,” Mr. Bock said.

One benefit of working together in person, many executives said, is the potential for spontaneous interactions. Mary Bilbrey, global chief human resources officer at real-estate giant Jones Lang LaSalle Inc., returned to her Chicago office in early June, as the company reopened its spaces. She noticed that she was soon having conversations with peers that wouldn’t have happened in a remote set up—a discussion sparked by a passing question in the hall, for instance. “They weren’t going to think about scheduling a 30 minute call to do it,” she said.

“I am concerned that we would somehow believe that we can basically take kids from college, put them in front of Zoom, and think that three years from now, they’ll be every bit as productive as they would have had they had the personal interaction,” said Mr. Kruszewski.

“If you were physically on site, you might have someone physically whispering, ‘Hey, that means this.’ We don’t have that here. So, it’s taking longer for the new employee to understand what’s happening,” he said.

It’s reassuring that we are still humans after all. We need physical connection and person to person interaction. We are not work robots slaving on a laptop.

1 Like

The ‘i’ in iPhone 11 now stands for India-made: Apple for the first time makes a top-of-the-line model in the country

The latest move marks the growing localisation of Apple’s manufacturing in the country, where it’s keen to take advantage of benefits under the government’s production linked incentive (PLI) scheme. The move also helps expand Apple’s production base beyond China at a time when Sino-US ties have soured, an executive said.

ET had earlier reported that Apple plans to expand manufacturing in India. Another of its contract manufacturers, Pegatron, recently registered a subsidiary in the country.

I briefly glanced at the article earlier today. Seems like the examples given to bolster the argument are specific narrow areas such as

1. Robotics
  2. New Employees

I can add a few more to the above.

3. Semi Conductors
4. Labwork
5. Highly Secretive work.
6…

However, for software app dev I don’t see much advantage of going to office. stackoverflow should probably work for most people & even the newer employees.

2 Likes

I am not sure about it. Software engineers spent at least 20% or so their time collaborating with peers and Video meetings are still not effective as whiteboard discussion. Also, companies like Google / Facebook can’t rely on Stakeoverflow for answers either due to proprietary tech issue or nobody out there has problem of their scale.

Microsoft CEO said we are currently relying on Social Equity we’ve built with others, but eventually that will run out with new people joining the team.

No doubt technology will be better with remote teams like better white-boarding and so on. But definitely, remote workforce is not as simple as some of the people are suggesting.

Edit: we don’t really know that impact right now, since almost 100% of people are working from home, but wait until half of those people are back in the office, see how the other half is going to reach.

1 Like