Telecommuting/ WFH and Remote Work

:grinning:

Is well documented that usually one or two in the software development team is doing most of the work.

How do you know “they” didn’t include the productive 10%?

Yeah excluding the productive ones, and everyone knows who they are :). I bet the productive ones will mostly comply.

1 Like

Only 200 so you’re probably right.

So am I :slight_smile:

Anyway, I think is only Californians that are complaining. If I am not wrong, elsewhere have already doing 3 days in office long ago. Someone can confirm this.

Why will the productive ones comply? They have leverage with Apple IF as you say "they do 90% of the work and the rest do just 10% of the work. "

Those 2 get rewarded with MUCH higher pay. Rest are not.

Not suggesting one group will/should or will/should not WFH, just pointing out the pay distribution.

3 Likes

Based on my experience. The productive ones often do not make noise, are not too fussy and enjoy collaborating in person on whiteboards etc.
In tech world if a person talks too much, he is probably the least productive - in terms of delivering hands on.

1 Like

Yes true so they are probably less likely to move to East Bay anyway.

1 Like

Yes some of them can’t negotiate. But the people smart+tech smart ones do.

Someone I know had $225/240K in Apple, dint get a good increase in pay jumped to nvda with $360k and in NVDA he dosen’t have to come to office unlike apple, but he does go in 1 day a week since he is new.

Yeah higher pay can buy anywhere they want . But that’s 10-20% of the employees.

The most productive and ambitious (usually, ambitious are the most productive) , will like to be in office, visible to upper management. Out of sight, out of mind !

1 Like

IMO, Productivity(tech) has nothing to do with visibility.

But visibility does help in ass kissing. Productive people are so secure in their work that they don’t need to ass kiss.

2 Likes

Are you equating that with good pay?

Answer below.

Smart + tech still work in a corporate? I would startup a company aiming to be a billionaire.

Negotiating salary skill + tech skills = to billionaire startup??

My view is most tech CEOs don’t have great tech skills.

1 Like

Very lucrative skill :slight_smile:

True about not making noise. However, I have had a very productive remote co-worker in my start-up days prior to 2010 – he is super great, and is very adamant about not moving. He was super productive and we did not want to lose him due to in-person. He would drop-by periodically (once every few months) and rest of the time work heads down.

Without data even if we think logically, why would an unproductive worker protest with lay off and recession fear around? They will first try to save their jobs not make issues and get into company focus.

1 Like
1 Like

Job freeze, recession!